1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hey guys help me make a decision!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Craftybigdog, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Im getting alot of more snow accounts. I have my Dodge but I was thinking about getting another truck. What helped you make the decision to get another? My only problem it wouldnt be used next year during the lawn season, not yet anyway. Now if you did get another truck what would it be. First it would be for developments. No driveways. I like the F-550, F-450 and even the F-350. What are the pluses and minuses? Thanks alot!

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have been thinking of also getting another truck. The first thing I consider is fuel. There seem to be alot of guys with gas trucks. They all get bad gas mileage. The only way to go is diesel. If a 350 ford will work as well as a 550 ford then I would buy the F350 just for the fuel mileage. The biggest downfall is the payload. Most people put of a steel box and then there is almost no payload left. The best thing to do is buy the smaller size truck pay extra for the alluminum box, then you don't have to sand it and paint it every year and the difference in weight is 1500lbs. This is what my research has taught me.

3. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I have had both gas and deisel. This time I went with a GMC dually dump 4x4 gas motor. I put on less than 8k miles/yr which is why I went w/ gas. My previous deisel trucks run into maintenance costs above 100k. The $ difference between gas and deisel motors is significant and the payback takes forever with my low miles. Any input is appreciated for the next truck: fall 2005. Thanks.

4. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I would also look at the new Chev/GMC 4500 4x4. I think it may be more maneuverable than the F450 - 550. I know the cramp angle is better in the 2wd 4500 than the 450. Also improved visibility with the sloped hood.

5. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

On the diesel vs. gas debate. It is very difficult to pay for the diesel option with fuel savings alone. At a ballpark estimate of $6000 for diesel plus increased maintenance costs all around it would cost $100/month or more with 0% financing for 60 months just to get the diesel. So you would need to save more than that in fuel just to break even. Someone like gpin who is not spending more than $200/month for fuel for the truck would need to double his fuel economy to reach the break even point. And diesels don't do anywhere near that much better.

6. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

Diesel debate cont:

fuel issues aside, (as diesel prices are going through the roof!) resale value alone will cover the cost of the diesel motor, plus the extended longevity make the initial investment well worth it if you plan to keep the truck. I traded a 85 F250 6.9 diesel with 280k miles on it for my 99 F250 powerstroke and was given 10k straight up. When the 99 was traded for the 02 Silverado D/A combo, they gave me 28k for it with 150k miles on it, try that with a gas motor, you will loose 10k in the first year with a gaser...just my experience & .02

Bill

7. I myself am a diesel guy and that is all I will ever own now that I've had one. But, you mean to tell me that they gave you $10,000 for that old turd of a truck on trade in? And on top of that, they gave you $28,000 for the 99 Powerstroke on trade in also? What dealership is this because I will definately be driving there when I get ready for a new ride.

8. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

They were 2 different dealers here in VA, and I would be glad to refer you, PM me if you are serious. Diesel trucks are worth more here as farmers buy older diesels for thier uses vs new trucks, so the market for used diesels is good, especially in the country out side of Richmond.

Bill

PS The 85 was even fairly rusted out, I was told the farmer that bought it was taking off the bed and putting on a flat bed to haul hay with, and the dealer had it sold before I came to pick up the 99!..hard to believe, but the honest truth..

9. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

That is hard to believe, what do you pay for new trucks list price ?
    Diesel's do hold there value but those numbers for trade in's are pretty darn good. I think I will sell my truck there, when Im ready for a new one.
    Todd