1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hey Guys could I get your input on something?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Craftybigdog, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

I have alot of accounts this year and my question is, do you give a time frame when the snow will be removed? I do all residential developments. I cant be everywhere at once, so I was curious what you tell people. I will be here in so many hours after the snow stops or starts. Also lets say you get hit with a blizzard, do you guys ever take a brake and sleep, if your really tired. I just want your opinions so I can come up with an idea. Thank you
  2. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

I do have time parameters that I follow and it depends on the amount of snow. As for taking time off when I'm tired, it just does'nt happen. I rest before I have to plow and then again after.
  3. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

You saw my subdivision contract. It states we will start at trigger depth and plow every 2 to 4 inches after that. It doesnt give a time frame. I thought about giving one but havent had any HOA ask for one so I figured why pin myself down. I do have time restraints on my shopping centers and the gm contract is real time sensitive. Since you are dealing with the same consulting company that I am. You know the specs are curb to curb. Which usually means 4 or 5 passes. Also many want the intersections rounded not boxed. During the bulk of the storm just make 2 passes on each road. As the storm slows down or stops than go curb to curb and final clean up. Same for cudisacs plow in and out during the bulk of the storm clean up later.

This will make them happy to have a clear road during the storm and it saves you time so you can jump from subdivision to subdivision.

4. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Heck I dont even give my wife a time frame when Ill be home from where ever. If they dont ask then dont offer....Rob
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  5. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Awesome that makes sense!
  6. gpin

gpin Senior Member

90% of my work is commercial and after 20 years I have learned to schedule lightly and charge more. BUT I sell this to my clients who are primarily lawyers who own their own buildings and are sensitive to slip and falls. I try to schedule about 4 hrs per truck, including travel for an above average snow. My clients are always cleared by the time they get to work unless it is a big constant storm. Sometimes if we have time, we go out and sub for others. This is also much easier on the equipment as the driver isn't pushing like a madman to get to the next lot.

I have found that overscheduling results in dissatisified customers who are willing to shop you out to another contractor for a lower price who promises better service. My clients pay for snow removal by the hour and I keep the same clients and add 1 or 2 a year. I'm very careful about the time billing, 2 hrs, 15 mins = 2hrs. The building managers keep tabs on that kind of issue. Boring but the $ is predictable and we know the sites and what our clients expect. On some buildings the manager has a blower or shovels himself, we will do it for him, n/c as a perk to keep us if we are done before he gets there.
  7. DJL

DJL Senior Member

IMO, providing a time is asking for trouble. If you put a time in a contract you need to honor that. Kind of hard to do when you run into the unexpected; spring failures, transmission problems, etc..
  8. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Does the snow fall at the same time every day? If it did then I could tell you I will have it plowed at the same time every day.
  9. maurader

maurader Member

I like your answer Dwan. I get the same question from potential customers all of the time. When do you plow. It all depends on the snow. If you can get it to stop at midnight all the time then I can have you plowed by 5am guaranteed. :salute:
  10. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

Does it ever snow during the day? I noticed over the years in on this site everyone says if it stops snowing bt the am and stuff like that. Where I live it doesnt always snow at night. It snows all different times of the day.
    We have plans for when it snows anytime and when we think it is going to stop.

11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

When it snows during the day, I find because there is traffic out already packing it down constantly and there are cars in the lots, I can't go out effectively until after everything closes anyways... unless it is really bad and people can't get out etc. It's usually an overnight thing...
  12. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

We don't have that luxury. When it snows no matter what time of the day my trucks have to be on the road.
  13. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

same here but durning the day we plow condo's chruchs, motels and shows, and at night business. unless ofcorse it is a storm but our normal snow fall is around 4 to 6 inches. sanding is anytime it is slipery. normal luck here is for the snow to start around 5:am and of corse everyone wants done by 7. LOL
  14. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I don't think I would call that a luxery. It is solely dependant on the amount of snow. If we got a huge blizzard where they are closing schools etc and sending people home then yes I would be out plowing with the storm just like you. But for the most part, our 'storms' are about 4" deep on average (hence the 2.5" trigger).

I'm assuming you get more snow than we do. I had 9-10 plowable events last year, the deepest I got last year was about 8" which really was a sucky year.