1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hey everybody!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Jimmeh, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Junior Member

My name is James, and I own an 87 Jeep Wagoneer Limited, and a 92 Ford Ranger. I just bought the Ranger last week, and have had the Jeep for about 8 months. I live in Columbia Falls, Montana, and unfortunately we haven't gotten much snow this year. However, I want to turn my Jeep into a wheeling rig, but also a plow rig. I am wondering if anybody has ever put a plow on one of these Jeeps before, and what is the best plow for them. I would put one on the Ranger, but I have heard that plowing puts a lot of stress on the frame of a vehicle, and this Ranger is in superb condition, with a new engine in it (80,000 miles). Any information would be great for a newby like myself.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

:salute: Welcome aboard James! I thing you find lot's of good info and great guy's on here. What type of plowing are you going to be doing? Personal only? Residential? Let us know and I'm sure guy's will chime in with some info for you.

3. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Junior Member

It will be personal use. For neighbors, too, since my family shares a 1/4 mile long driveway with 8 other houses. We had to hire a plow guy this year to plow for us when we had about a foot of snow in November, which wasn't a big deal when you stretch it out over eight house holds, but I'd do it for free for my neighbors since they have been real nice. Besides, I live at the end of the driveway :D

4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Jimmeh,

Welcome to plowsite. I would recommend a Sno-Way for your Jeep. Many Jeep owners that are running our plows and are very happy with them. Go into the Sno-Way thread and do some searches. You can also learn more by visiting our factory website, http://www.snoway.com.

A 5 year structural and 2 year electric/hydraulic commercial warranty is included with your purchase. wesport

Regards,

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What brand of plows does your local dealer's handle? That's what I'd base my desision on and then go from there.

6. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I think he should look for a used plow. A new snow plow would cost more then twice what his trucks are worth or more. then he could afford to get a plow for each truck.

Beside once he buy's one it won't snow again.

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

new/fairly new truck=new plow

used vehicle=used plow for it!

8. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

Welcome James,

As usual, the "type" of plow you get will ultimately depend on the "type" of plowing you plan on doing. Based on your experience and how much plowing you want to do, a small composite plow might be the thing for you. If you plan on doing a significant amount of plowing, then a standard steel plow is fine. But if your going to try and do a large amount of plowing I would step up to a commercial version.

Cant help you with experience related with the jeep in specific. As for the Ranger, theres no reason why you cant put a plow on it, plenty of people do, and never have any problems. Then again, you could put a plow on it, and the first time out cause significant damage. It all depends on how you plow. Use the right size equipment, and use correctly, dont try to over push the limits and capabilities of the equipment or the vehicle, you will be fine.

Good Luck, and again, welcome.