1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hey Dodge guys with Boss Plows got?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Craftybigdog, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Hey guys I have a dodge 2500 3/4 ton 4x4 with the diesel and boss 8'2 v-blade my question is what are you guys running in the bed for ballast and how much weight? Im putting timbrens in and on the v-blade do you run with shoes on or off and if the center is off will in nose plow and if you think of anything else that would help with me running the boss feel free to offer suggestions thanks so much!
  2. Bossplower

Bossplower Member

I ran mine without shoes and wore the whole frame out in the middle of the plow. I would run shoes in the middle If it was me even if it didn't touch the ground. If you don't just keep an eye on the middle where the hinge pin goes in . Either way the plow works great. You only need weight in the back for more than 4"
    snow 1k or more for heavy snows.
    Good Luck Steve
  3. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Boss With Diesel

I have an older Dodge Regular cab Diesel with 8' 2" Chain lift Boss V, I have run this rig for 7 years with 800# ballast right at the back of the box. I never use shoes and have no problem with the nose digging in. With the ballast in back I often am able to plow in 2 WD. The plow was well used when I bought it and the truck has 240000 miles on it, It is very well balanced and toys with the plow, Though I have never used Timbrens I don't think they are needed. As with all plows just keep all the wiring in good shape.
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i think between 500 and 1000 pounds of wieght should be enough keep the traction on the rear wheels and i take the shoes off myself :)
  5. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

I just fill the bed with snow and put the cover back on. Total weight is probably 200lbs. No problems with it digging in at all. I do recall a few times when it gets icy that it tried to dig in but I just raised the blade a bit.

I dont run shoes on my plow at all.....I get tired of replacing them

Love that BOSS plow :drinkup: