1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hey B&B!!!!! Lift Springs???

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by ProSeasons, Feb 23, 2011.

1. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Could I install a return spring (or 2) to help my lift ram lift my blade and stack, and to help ease it down when lowering. It just bangs down on the concrete when I hit the down button. It's so heavy with the U-Edge and the Pro Wings.

The same principle as the lift springs on my trailer tailgate. Or am I just dopey??:confused:

Thank you, sir!!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You could just ease the the blade down. Just don't push the buttom all the way on the controller
  3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Adjust the drop speed valve!
  4. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

What he said.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

You can adjust the drop speed but adjusting the valve on the backside of the pump housing. Turning the allen head screw in slows it down. Turning it out speeds it up. Its very simple to do.
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As the others mentioned adjut the drop speed to your liking with the adjustment screw. If you need more lifting power in the pile be sure the pump pressure is set correctly and then upgrade all the plow cables to 2 gauge and run a Trombetta solenoid. Both will add efficiency and lifting power to the pump motor not to mention reduce electrical load on the truck.
  7. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Got it! Will do, thank you again, sir!
  8. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

Will the upgrades increase lift speed or just power to lift in a pile? Where do I find the solenoid you speak of?

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Trombetta part #114-1211-020 is the good one
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on how good your current setup is but if it's anything less than 100% (which I assure you it isn't) it will make a noticeable difference in lift performance beside the other benefits I mentioned.
  11. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Dang thing has a nickname.

They call it 'The Bear'.

Better get one for the SnowMan so it won't get jealous.
  12. haejinjoe

haejinjoe Junior Member

Where can one source the Trombetta solenoid?
    Thanks for your service, B & B!

13. Grn_Mtn_Boy

Grn_Mtn_Boy Junior Member

Thanks for the info but it triggered a couple of questions. Whats the best way for a DIY pressure test? I just upgraded my 7.5 super trip edge for an 8.2 V and I've notice it doesn't seem to have the hydraulic power my older plow had. I asked the dealer about it and he took it next door to his shop and made a couple pass with it and came back and said it was behaving normally. This is my first V so I have nothing to compare it to other then my straight blade.
    Also what cable gauge comes stock from boss? How does the upgraded solenoid help? Is it that its got less resistance so more current passes?

Thanks for any info
  14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Right here Joe Trombetta. As you can see they're not much more cost than the small solenoids sold as OEM. But they are far better.
  15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Plumb a pressure gauge into the lift ram hose and check pressure during lift and more importantly once it's up against the pump relief. If it isn't in the 2300-2500 PSI range against the relief it needs adjusted to bring it into spec. Once that is done, do or have done an amp draw test as it may be the electrical side where your issue lies if you feel the plow doesn't have the power it should. You want to see around 130-150-ish amp during lift and no more than about 240 against the relief. If it's more then there's likely a problem with the motor.

The OEM included cables themselves aren't all that bad (in comparison to those in use by some of the other brands) however it's the bumper connectors that's the weak link that add resistance, more so as they age. Same with the OEM solenoids. Just upgrading to a Trombetta and replacing the OEM bumper connector with a set of Anderson connectors goes a long way in adding efficiency to the system. It's also a MUST that both plow cables are attached DIRECTLY to the battery. No other locations are acceptable.
  16. Grn_Mtn_Boy

Grn_Mtn_Boy Junior Member

Thanks B&B.
    Can I perform a similar test for the angle cylinders? The relief seems to be less then my old straight blade...but it seems I read here some where that they're set lower from the factory. Again I'm only comparing it to my old 7.5 super trip edge, but It seems to me that the wings seem to fold back a lot easier. And just for the record I'm not slamming in to these banks.

Thanks again
  17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure, simply tee your pressure gauge into each of the respective wing hoses and push the wing against an immovable object (tree, neighbors house, etc) to see where it releases on the gauge then adjust the wing reliefs as needed to bring them to spec. Which is 2800 psi.

You're running an 8.2 but since we're on the subject they can be bumped to 3000 psi on a 9.2 if needed for guys that feel theirs are a little soft. Just do not exceed that. :nono:
  18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Would a plow come from the manufacture set to the correct pressure or is there a chance it is set low?
  19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes they're intended to Chris but it isn't always the case. I find variations fairly often which is why it's smart to check them....regardless of brand or age and especially after some use after everything "settles in".
  20. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks, I will have to check the new VXT. It doesn't seem to have the power to move the plow while pushing. The last month I have been using my 2004 810 Blizzard and it will move side to side regardless of how much snow is in front of it.