1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hey all you CHEVY guys!!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Dlongerman, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

I'm in the market for a used truck....

i need a truck that i can haul my walk behind on a trailer (i will probally be getting another walkbehind this year),
    but i also will need to be able to pull a skid loader once and a while, mulch, dirt and plow with (big church parking lot along with a town home complex and residential)...
    i will also be doing farming and working on farm equipment...
    i'd like a diesel just for the pulling power and for the fuel economy...
    i have found a few on Craigslist...
    I want to be able to put a dump insert in it too....

thanks...
    Dan

2. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

3/4 ton duramax would do ya well. My 04 Dmax has been a good truck.

3. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

4. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Thats not a duramax, its a 6.5L diesel. Id buy a cummins or a powerstroke long before id buy a 6.5.

5. mow 4 u

mow 4 u Member

Had a 6.5 go over 550k,went through a few sets of glow plugs and gp controllers, but had a lot of fun.Made a ton of $$$$, just have to be careful, as with everything.... Seems like a good deal to me.... lots of extras,plow salter, dump bed Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

check the front of the frme real good for cracks/busted welds on that thing. my 95 cracked on both sides up front and it had a 350 alot lighter than diesel. good luck.

7. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

Curious as to why you feel the 6.5L were inferior to powerstroke, cummins, and the duramax.

thanks for any input!

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

x2 A guy I know has over 300k on an early 6.5. It's in a 3500hd with a 10ish ft service body with a crane, air compressor, welder, etc that I'd say weighs in at 10-12,000lbs, seems to always be pulling a skiddy around also so there's 7-10k behind him depending on the size of the skid. It ain't fast or making big power, but it's rare to see him driving anything else besides his service truck.

Edit, dlongerman fix your sig. There is no G ever in Cummins. It makes you sound uneducated and unfamiliar with automotive related stuff.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  9. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

That truck has been wrecked or something. The 3/4 tons in that body style never came with a 3rd door like the one listed does. Just something to think about if you are serious about that truck.

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Good catch William. I believe the third door started in 96 or 97 model year for the 1/2tons, I'm assuming it started for the 3/4 and 1 tons also.

In the one pic you can see it does have the third door on the passengers side, there is a break in the molding.

11. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

3/4 and 1 tons never had a 3rd door in that body style, only in the New Body Styles.

12. starsandstripes

starsandstripes Junior Member

I wish my 97' Chevy 3/4 ton had a third door....... should have seen the look on my buddies face when he went to open the 3 door, at the airport, for his baggage!!

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ya, I wish my 98 had one also. Sure would make getting 167cm skis in there easier then trying to jam them in behind the seat and not drop them on my sub.

14. gib

gib Junior Member
    from omaha

The truck maybe an 2500HD. My 95 extended cab, long box did have the 3rd door on the passenger side. Ton's of power and very reliable. Had to sell it and upgrade or uncle sam was going to get more of my money.

15. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

6.5 Had huge issues with the fuel pump. The 6.5 came in the Milatery Hummer. Hummer and GM were forced to upgrade the pump in the military units to make them more reliable. So the military 6.5 is different from the publics 6.5. They also seem to leak more oil than the Exxon valdez. To compare it to the Dmax wouldnt be fair becuase of HP gains in the Dmax. But that truck seems to be worth 6k. They seem to be getting better with aftermarket pumps

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009