1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hesitation

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 81pickup, Jan 16, 2002.

1. 81pickup

81pickup Junior Member

I have an 81 custom deluxe with a 2bbl 350 in it. Whenever you stop and then step on the gas ( like at an intersection ) the truck breifly hesitates. The guy I bought it from said that he put a new carb ( got it off another truck.. it's not brand new ) because the old one was shot. I thought it might be the accelorator pump that needs to be adjusted.

Any suggestions??

Thanks.... :)

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

wish I could help you my old '85 did the same thing we did every thing put 3 carbs on ran out of a sepereate fuel tank feul pump and a bunch more stuff never found the problem.It was a 1/2 ton 305 4 barrel.good luck

3. RTallday

RTallday Member

I would go for timing, maybe give it a check and a little adjustment. Also, if you are going to think about replacing the carb, you might think about maybe putting a 4bbl on there, to let her breathe a little easier. You'll have to change the manifold too, but if you have the extra cash, itll be well worth it. Good luck.

-Rich

4. dany

dany Member

My ford with a 390 does the same thing. Ive been told that the fuel pump speeds upso quick that it actually starves it self for fuel. They recammended upgrading to a higher violosity fuel pump.

5. JOHNS 78

JOHNS 78 Junior Member
    from oregon

I HAD THAT PROBLEM ONE TIME . IT TURNED OUT TO BE A SPARK PLUG WIRE BREAKING DOWN UNDER LOAD.

6. 81pickup

81pickup Junior Member

Couldn't be that. Has new plugs, wires, disributor cap... everything. I think it may be somthing to do with the electric choke. I have problems getting it to start when it's cold. I am considering a manual choke if I can't fix this one.
    Thanks anyways John..

7. blzn74

blzn74 Member

I had that problem too, turned out to be a vaccum port on the carb not plugged. Have you checked for vaccum leaks at the Carb?, I replaced the stock rochester on my 81 with a Holly 600cfm, 4bbl vaccum secondaries, Vrrrrrm Vrmmmm. Save some cash and get a 4bbl. It is a good investment.

8. 81pickup

81pickup Junior Member

No I haven't checked for vaccum leaks yet. And yes I'd like to heave the Rochester out the door and bolt on a holley 4bbl but I don't have the cash right now. But It is seriously being considered.
    Thanks again.