1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Here's your boy

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DaveOhio, Jan 15, 2006.

1. DaveOhio

DaveOhio Member

copied from ann industry journal:

Allin, too, says much of the controversy and anger were perpetuated by a small minority of contractors in the snow and ice removal industry.

“A small minority of subcontractors can make some pretty big waves on Internet message boards,” Allin says. “People either love or hate me, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that we were able to do things no one else had.”

As for Allin, on Monday, Jan. 16 he begins his new job as president of Snow Dragon, a company formed as a partnership between Allin and Park Ohio, a Cleveland, Ohio-based diversified manufacturing company, to develop and build snow melting units for mid-sized snow contractors. As president, Allin will oversee Snow Dragon’s sales, marketing and manufacturing operations.

“The first production models came off the line three months ago,” Allin says. “Since then we’ve built five and sold four, which meets our sales goal for this winter.”

Snow Dragon producesva small and large contractor model, one of which is being demo'd at Boston’s Logan International Airport. Allin expects Snow Dragon to be in full-scale production by this summer.

Look out Cleveland.
  2. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

what is a snow melting machine look like..is it a staionary building where they dump snow to melt or an actual driving machine that makes plowing obsolete?

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

it on a tractor trailer so it can be moved from site to site
    i think there expensive to run

4. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Just what we need that guy here.....Great
  5. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

6. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Many of you seem misinformed of exactly how and what a snow melter does. A snow melting machine is used in areas with limited snow storage space. The city of Toronto uses them because there are no areas of snow storage, especially for residential and commercial. When the banks get to high they are melted using the snow melting machine.

They are not intended for use in driveways, etc... They are designed for a niche market where nothing else is suitable. Long gone are the days of dumping snow in the river. These machines also filter the snow the melt before releasing as water.
  7. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

a snow melting machine is a big box with heaters, you load it with snow and it melts it , its got a screen to catch all of the trash, and its got a little ramp on the back to store a bobcat...the whole piece is on a trailer, or more like it is a trailer, and and a semi towns it its a tractor trailer when its all hooked up i saw one and climbed all around it and went inside of its control room at the Snow and Ice Convention in Marlboro Mass this fall/.....they have i think 2 different sizes, and they start at around $400,000, without the skidsteer or tractor semi....
  8. Groundmovers

Groundmovers Member
    from NE CT.

9. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

Here is a unit
    It was at the Snow and Ice Expo
    The picture was on a camera phone and i couldn't get the whole thing but you will get the idea.
    Michagan melters also makes one.
    Very nice equipment if someone will pay for it

10. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the thread was more about John Allen than a snow melter. :rolleyes:
  11. Groundmovers

Groundmovers Member
    from NE CT.

...snow melters are much cooler....:D
  12. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

payment options

Can you purchase a snow melter for the asking price then pay 25% one year later, then 25% 6 months later then pay the last 25% 6 months later? And that equals paid in full.

13. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Did some research on these early in the winter. Starting price around $160k on up from there. Go to the website listed by the boss1975 as it tells all.

As for Allen, all I can say is "Oh boy". He deserves credit for thinking outside the box, and excellent marketing. However, I wouldn't want his name associated with my business in the snow industry. Never had dealings with him, but there are enough claims on this website of his wrong doings that they can't all be wrong. Maybe a few are exaggerated or leave out a few details, but I am leaning more towards they are mostly true. The Snow Dragon seems like a great product, and the sales rep I dealt with was very knowledgeable and helpful. I hope the Allen name doesn't spoil anything with his past reputation.
  14. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Park Ohio

Well as for Park Ohio I can tell you this is a worthless company, I know I used to work for them. This company buys other companies that are in trouble for pennies on the dollar and then sells all the equipment and turns a profit, Or Ed C the owner will buy a union plant and move it thus breaking the union. So if you were making $18.00 an hour when park ohio get done you will be making ziltizh. PARK OHIO IS WORTHLESS !!!
  15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Crap, you beat me to it. ;)
  16. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Oh, how shocking, you must be part of "a small minority making big waves on internet discussion forums" or something... :D :D

I kinda figure if 25% of what I read is true, I still wouldn't want a name like that on my product...

Machine looks cool though.
  17. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Reciprocity or wishful thinking?