1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heres an idea...

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by breadoflife, Nov 22, 2009.

1. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

I was thinkin the other day about how we could make our meyer straight blade more efficient for backdragging and pictured the following: Mount a 12VDC electric actuator to base of the plow where it swivels and mounts to the a-frame and the other end to a pusharm welded to the plow frame/moldboard to allow the blade to pivot forward as it would to trip over an obstacle, thus causing the cutting edge to be vertical and better for scraping during backdragging.

my biggest question is how much pressure do the trip springs exert when properly tensioned? i need to know this to see how much pressure the actuator has to exert to overcome them. the rest is pretty simple.

so whatcha all think?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

For all that work ,it would be easier to put a Boss on it.

3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

orrrrrrr buy a backdrag edge

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Buy a Sno-Way that has "down pressure"

6. wdcs1

wdcs1 Member

How much down pressure does a snow way exert.

7. fourspeedfish

fourspeedfish Member

Do you have a specific actuator in mind?

8. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

idk yet, thats y i need to know the pressure of the springs.

9. fourspeedfish

fourspeedfish Member

I guess i dont understand how it would be mounted, The actuator / cylinder would have to float when not in use, since the mold board still needs to trip.

I do agree, if you could tip the blade forward an inch or 2, i bet it would backdrag a lot nicer.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Not sure on the exact number but it will take all the weight off the front suspension.
    Won't lift the tires off the ground but it is enough to scrape to bare pavement.

11. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

It wouldnt need to be bolted to both ends, it could float into like a recieving cup or whatever on one end, ill draw somethin up...

12. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

Here, a 5 min rough draft of my idea, at the a frame, the unit pushes into and pivots in a cup like unit, if plow needs to trip, it simply lifts out of the cup and when it resets, returns into the cup.

rough draft actuator.jpg

13. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I would mount the cup on the plow and the actuator on the frame.. less mas to get thrown around and the actuator wont be slammed around when the blade trips.

14. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

that was my original plan, but i would need to figure out how to reinforce it

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How do you intend to power the cylinder?

16. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

electric actuator, this kinda thing, note that these arent necessarily going to be be the ones I use, but just to give yall an idea:

Linear-Actuator-Ball-Screw-Actuator-Electric-Actuator.jpg

17. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

From post #12 the idea will not work. All you will do is put stress between the king pin and the top of the blade. The actuator needs to sit between the A frame and the lifting bracket on the truck.

18. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Good idea!

?:confused:

19. fourspeedfish

fourspeedfish Member

That would be correct if you are trying to use it as a down pressure system.

His idea is to use it to tip the blade forward and inch or 2 so the cutting edge sits at 90 degrees to the ground.

20. fourspeedfish

fourspeedfish Member

I was sorta thinking the same thing about a cup idea with the cup mounted on the board.

I would think it would be better to mount the actuator on an angle vs. strait up.??

I also think you would need a beefy actuator. All the pressure from back dragging, trip springs, ect, will be on the actuator itself and your mounting setup.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009