1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

heres a weird question

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by fisher guy, Mar 21, 2009.

1. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

As some of u know i moved up here from Florida back in November for the winter season and plowing amongst other things. I made out pretty decent to the point where i got my own Fisher MM2 8 footer. Well now that we're at the end of this great season we had in New England I'm planning my vacation down in Florida for about a month. What i wanna know is. Is there a way to take the blade / "A" frame off the head gear kinda like the Meyers or the old style Fishers and just leave the head gear on the truck complete? the reason why i want to do this 1. i like the look of the head gear on the the front of the truck 2. I just wanna see what people down south say about it considering a lot of them ever even seen a snow plow in there life. 3. so i can do a lil work to it while I'm down south. maybe replace the motor that kinda thing just in case i decide to stay for the whole summer. i need to replace my triangle anyway cuz its wearing away at the bottom of the ring "its an '04 model" So is there away i can take the chain off on the new style triangle? any help on this would help greatly
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You can do it, but there's no quick connects. I havn't had a straight blade for two years, but this will get you started. You will need to unthread your hoses, probably at the rams first. Also need to devise some way to keep the fluid from leaking out, and keep crap out of your hoses and valve body. 1/4 inch pipe plugs might be OK. Undo one side of the lift chain (remove the u-bolt), and pull it through the ring on the lift arm. Finally, the pins that secure the a-frame to the headgear probably have cotter pins. Pull the cotters, and the pins.
  3. fisher guy

thanx man i forgot all about the hoses (duh blonde momment lol) im going to go over it tommorow and see what i can do where can i get the plugs....napa?
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If they are regular pipe threads, you can plugs almost anywhere. Local hardware store, Home Depot, and probably Napa too. When you get ready to disconnect the a-frame, it would be best to do the chain last. If you have a pull down spring, take it off. Then re-raise the blade, and let it down again. The tension on the chain should hold up the a-frame while you pull the pins. Then a couple blocks of wood, and put your blade in float. Make sure you pull the a-frame all the way down. Then take out your chain.
  5. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Keep in mind that some states/countys (unless weather conditions warrant it) it is against the law to keep any part of a plow on after a certain date that can be removed, it is April first here. They want nothing sticking past the bumper. They even make you remove the ram from the older Fishers and push the triangle down. It stems from a triangle entering the passenger compartment of a car a killing them during a collision. There is a post somewhere here about it, but I could not find it.

Edit: OOPS Right below me.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  6. fisher guy

thank you Clint i didn't see that. I think i should be OK though considering I have Florida tags and no proof of residency IE Florida driver license. I would only do this right before i left for vacation, to my surprise i haven't been bugged once by the cops yet in my town for lack of front plate, out of state tags, doing commercial, ETC ETC. (i have commercial tags from Florida though)

I've even been driving around with the sander it hasn't came out once yet this year. And they know me and who i work for even where i live, the one time the cops bugged me and mentioned it was when my boss had me going to the town DPW shop and loading 6- 55 gallon trash cans with sand salt mix before we got our sander oops :D

So I'm willing to try it i just gotta get thru the state and i should be fine. lol I will take the head gear off eventually and put in the bed of the truck before i come back thanx 2core and Clint u guys helped me out big time i love this site lol
  7. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

eek i didnt know that. kept the headgear with everything on it(an old fisher speedcastplow) been doing that for a long time. dont drive the truck that much only few times during the summer.