1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heres a new one for you guys

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Sharpshooter77, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

Has anyone ever heard of a fan unscrewing for a water pump and falling off. 2 weeks ago the company I work for was called out to do snow work "Very Little Snow". I was sanding a parking lot and I get a call from my buddy Joe. He says that he just blew a hose on our 1999 F-350, 7.3 liter PS. I go check the truck out and I was looking underneath and saw the fan sitting in the bottom of the radiator shroud. So I screw the fan back on to the water pump and I had to use a pipe wrench, because the biggest wrench I have is 1 and 5/8. I made it nice and tight and filled it back up with anit-freeze and we were good to go for the rest of the night. I am so confused on how the fan could fall off like that. Makes you wonder how thing like this happen.

2. Easy

Easy Senior Member

Makes you wonder... My 2001 F250 ate radiator clamps. After the first 1 or 2, don't you think the dealer would get tired of replacing anti freeze?? No, 3 times it happened, luckily all under warranty. Sure does make you think though.
    Don

3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

those fans a left hand thread so they will tighten as the engine turns if it came off i would probably replace it and also check the drive for wear and/or damage.

4. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

I had the engine rebuilt in a 1990 ford with the 7.3 and the same thing happened. We started it up for the first time and were admiring how well it ran . When I told my kid to shut it off I stood there and watched the fan un screw itself and put a hole in the radiator.:mad: I had to laugh or I was gonna snap and the kids thought i lost it. LMAO

5. MUST BE A FURD THING! Did the bumper fall off too?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

That's why you always make sure you have the right direction of rotation fan blade. It may of had JUST ENOUGH resistance to let the engine unscrew the threads over time. Or they just never torqued it down before the job was released. I always use thread locker to make sure it's tight and staying there.

7. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

put threadlock on the threads it will help

john

8. Northland

Northland Senior Member

Been there... Sometimes you just gotta laugh...:dizzy: