1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Here's a good one

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Matts Kitty, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Matts Kitty

Matts Kitty Junior Member
    from Vermont

Last week my company was notified that we lost the bid on 8 commercial properties. I was told that the contract was split between two low ballers who have been in business only a few years. They were allowed to "shuffle their bids around mine because management knows them." I was very gracious to him and told him to call me this winter if they got in trouble, put the phone down and had a little cry. They are funded with state and federal money. If I say anything, I won't work in this area again. Has this happened to you? Thanks for letting me air it here. I've been in the plowing business 20 years.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

What does "shuffle their bids around mine" mean?

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Peek a Boo!

4. Matts Kitty

from Vermont

It means that the other two bidders were able to look at my bid numbers and come in below me.

5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

that really sucks, i feel for you, hope karma comes back and bites them in the ass, lets hope that the lowballers vehicles blow up the first time out this year, and that the unfair management has a disgruntled postal worker take a crowbar to their faces. It is hard to blame the lowballers though, it is the management that has been unfair in this.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear that, really sucks.

Are you saying the customer is funded or the contractor is funded?

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Send an annoumous (sp) letter to the management co or maybe even to the attorney general. State housing dept should be made aware of the showing of bids too.

8. big acres

big acres Senior Member

better be ready to go to the wall with proof. If you don't take out the decision maker you are shut out forever.

I have been in your exact situation and got the county on a manager's arse big time... never got the account back, but the relationship had run it's course anyhow... one last hail Mary.

9. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

DAm I ask everytime if they can tell me what they paid the year before but no one will ever tell me .:realmad:

10. firedawg1983

firedawg1983 Member

I picked up a small strip mall today. I know one of the owners of one of the businesses in there and she asked for a bid for the entire property, grabbed me up and took me right to the owner. this place has parking for about 40 cars and is fairly open probably 15 minutes max in a bad storm. The guy they had last year was charging him 600 per push for salt and plowing. that's not even touching the walkways or anything. I was like holy s**t!! he basically told me i don't care what you charge me as long as it's cheaper than that and it's yours. I can't believe some of the pricing I have heard of this year. it's either extremely high or extremely too low.

11. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

$599.00 per push.:)
    Lol,

12. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

Been there with a large contract before. It was actually a former employee who swiped a number of clients. His cousin was responsible for the tendor. This guy's wife won a lotto a few years back so he was working for me as a "hobby" and really didn't need the money. The guy approached one of my main men with a proposition to go on his own and it got back to me. I confronted him and he reassured me he was a man of his word and wasn't planning anything.........but he would quit if I made him sign anything. So needless to say, he just stopped showing up about 3 weeks later and approached every contract i had. Everyone now signs anti-competitive aggreements before they start.

Funny thing I learned about a year later when his wife ran out of lotto money. He got locked out of a donut shop they owned after a few bounced cheques. It was my girlfriends dad that changed the locks!!!

Ain't carma a *****!!!

13. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

that really sucks, especially if they are tax payer funded, and showing the other bids, if you could prove it, i would raise a stink, but the old saying goes " you may win the battle, but lose the war", just hope, their cheaper qoute comes back to bite them in the ass

14. buckwheat_la

not that you should lower yourself to their standards, however maybe you could score a couple of their contracts, have you looked into it? i wouldn't blame you, but i would love for them to get a little bit of their own medicine

15. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Taking the high road is the way to go. 2 years ago one of our contracts switched to our competitor on the second snowfall. The competitor was the one who told us when we met on the lots together. We took the high road and made a gracious exit. Come January 13th or so when they got their December bill they freaked and switched back to us and brought their neighbouring lot on board as well. So we actually got an extra lot that was double the size of our original lost contract.

16. buckwheat_la

and for the record, i appreciate the high road too, BUT sometimes a company needs to be put in its place also, some people are so arrogant that they think they can go around and do this kind of stuff. It just really pisses me off

17. Matts Kitty

from Vermont

Yes Mark these facilities are being funded by tax payers. I was in the same position two years ago with four schools. I actually have a copy of his bid. This same guy didn't beat me there either. I can't keep banging my head against the good ol boy network wall. So I keep my old contracts I've had since I started 20 years ago. If I start trouble I won't work here anymore. Same thing with the town I live in. I don't get anymore referals from the town because I wouldn't take my clothes off if you get what I mean. I will be glad to have the excavation equipment paid off this year so I can finally concentrate on my sugaring business. Thanks for all your encourgement you guys are great!

18. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Here in Ontario some of our Government funded organizations have to get 2 or more bids on jobs once they are over a certain value. We have to put in a price every year for a job for a gov't funded organization. The person we give the bid to says it's just a formality for them to get 2-3 bids. They can choose whomever they want. Luckily they have chosen us for the last 10 years or so.

19. jbis1782

jbis1782 Member

Same thing with us. If it is under a certain amount they need three bids and can choose anyone they want. If it is over that amount it goes to public bid and they have to take the lowest bidder, if they have the right equipment. That does suck though.