1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heres a good one guys, PRICING

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by ews101, Oct 23, 2008.

1. ews101

ews101 Junior Member
    from cny

Either Im nuts with my prices or people are just straight up crazy. How much do you guys think a Bank of America, 120000 sq ft parking lot. 2000 sq ft sidewalks, calcium on the sidewalks and salt every push would go for. Seasonal price. we usually have to go out 34 times a year is the average here. 1 inch trigger. there is a real narrow driveway about 800 feet long with a curb on ur left side and you have to clear out the loading docks. other than that it is pretty striaght forward. Just wanna see what you guys think it will take to do it and how much.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I give up, how much?

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Toaster with every plow?

4. jb3nh

jb3nh Member
    from eastern

Bank of America just contacted me as well. Reading thier contractor plow specs. they have a zero snow policy. Not sure if that's what you got in thier email as well, but keep it in mind. Too much for me to handle.

5. big acres

big acres Senior Member

I'll take a guess... about 10-11k. About 7 in plow/shovel 4 in salt/ice melt. How much?

6. ews101

ews101 Junior Member
    from cny

I went in at 30k they have bids as low as 15k. must be a guy with a pickup truck, no insurance, and a grass seed spreader to spread salt.

7. big acres

big acres Senior Member

pricing is regional... but at 34 visits you are at $882 per occurence for a quarter acre lot with about an hour and a half of walks?

I just bid a restaurant, Applebees. about the same size with at least as much sidewalk. One inch trigger (about 20 visits annually), mow 24x, spring/fall clean-ups, 3 fert/wc, 2 pruning (lots of shrubs) AND MONTHLY (7) lot sweeepings... guess how much it is being done for?

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

120000 sq/ft = 2.75 acres

9. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

$25k. Gotta let me know if I'm close.

10. ews101

ews101 Junior Member
    from cny

yea its close to 3 acres, 2 trucks 2-3 hours each and one man clearing sidewalks and applying calcium. 900 bucks a time with salt, applied to whole lot and calcium applied to sidewalks is a good and fair price in my eyes. If someone want to do it for 15k and make a few bucks thats cool, I would rather sleep and not woory about wrecking my equipment.

11. ews101

ews101 Junior Member
    from cny

haha its kinda funny with a name like big acres he doesnt know how many sq ft are in a acre

12. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

He most likely read it as 12k not 120k. Mistakes happen, get over yourself.

13. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Thanks Camden... yeah, read it as 12... 43,560 per acre. Now his price looks good, and makes my 10-11k for 12,000 just about right imo. I agree $15k is ridiculously low.

14. big acres

big acres Senior Member

As I mentioned, I misread the bank as 12k sq ft, not 120k... saw bank and assumed branch, not a largge office building.

So the Applebee's comparison was compared to 12k... and it is currently being done for about $4k year for lawn and snow, about half of my proposal. When the manager told me that they had just started with them this spring, I said "I am a bit worried for you on a one inch trigger this winter... call me if you have any problems, we do the bank next store and have equipment there on a dusting".

15. ews101

ews101 Junior Member
    from cny

Actually Camden you get over yourself. I was breaking balls. You say mistakes happen, well hopfully that mistake doesnt happen twice while you are reading a bid requirement and you bid it wrong because you made a mistake.

As for 4000 a yr for snow and lawn, your nuts, that is 75.00 a week, so you know you are going to be there ever week at least, mowing, plowing or salting. Its gonna cost you more in labor, fuel, insurance. Equipment, than you are going o make, but than again this goes back to the every guy with a pickup truck and lawnmower thinks they are a landscaper.
    Even $8000.00 is too cheap.

I know the guys who do the applebees in my area and they get 35k, landscaping, snow removal and sweeping

16. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Happy Monday :drinkup:

17. LIBERTYLANDSCAP

LIBERTYLANDSCAP Member

I've never seen a bank w/ a loading dock:confused:

I wish mine had one, so I didn't have to make multiple trips with a wheelbarrell to make depositsxysport

18. big acres

big acres Senior Member

ews101... I'm glad your prices help the price curve in this industry, and yes, the Applebee's is an agressive bid by my standards even at $8k. As you have seen, we are all under pressure on our prices... you just lost one on price, right?

If you feel the need to break balls, go ahead. Like alot of guys, I check out this site late at night to unwind... after a long day I read it as 12k, which you should agree is fairly strong pricing -for 12k. This is very different from sitting down to do a bid.

As you can see on this site, guys will speak up if someone is bashing another, and most guys are pros who are here to share ideas and learn. I didn't take offense at your one-liner... but you can always search a memebrs post to determine their experience level before calling taking a jab. If I wanted to return in-kind, I would call you "junior"... due to your whopping four posts here on PS. But, for all I know you run a multi-million dollar company... and who knows... maybe I do too. Good luck this year, and welcome to PS.

19. deadogwalkin

deadogwalkin Member

Gentlemen- now that is class (Big Acres), oh and look he is from Minnesota!!

20. ews101

ews101 Junior Member
    from cny

To the poster who stated they never saw a bank with a loading dock. Well This bank Is a processing center and they get Large amounts of paperwork from other branches.

And also to MR Cocky. who says its not my place to break balls... Get over yourself...

As for pricing. the reason why you can open up the newspaper and see ads for seasonal contracts, 300.00, 350.00 residential is because some people in this business are just plain stupid. I rather bid high and get 75 percent of my bids than get them all. Also most of those low ballers wont even show up after a while.

As for the Bank Job it was offered to me at 25k because they wanted a business that was reliable and had the proper insurance which for this particular location is 5,000,000.. thats 5 Millon. I told them 30K was my bid and I wont budge. I know they are in a jam bc those lowballers were people they called out of the newspaper that do not have insurance.

Well we are about to get a nor eastern tommorow and wedsday so it will be intresting to see what happens.....