1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Here We Go.....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by alternative, Feb 4, 2005.

1. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

as always.. middle of the snow season and someone got shafted... i just got a call (referral) for snow plowing at a 24unit condo,,(sort of within my route) mmmmm i guess his previous comp..left him in the cold..and backed out of their seasonal contract.. now he wants me??? well.. hard to price halfway in the middle .. but i would like to take it..Why not? especially since its a condo complex and wont disturb my route schedule.. can be done later after snow. just wondring what to do ...1/2 seasonal what i would normally charge>?? doesnt want per push.. (budget thing)?? any suggestions.. thanks

PS probably a low baller.. couldnt keep up !
  2. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

i would'nt do it unless at full rate
    serves them rite for hiring by the price :nod:
  3. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Look at your history, see how many snows are left normally, add a little, figure out what you want to make per push, what the average snowfall amt is for the time frame, and give them a bill or estimate.
  4. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i thought most people that live in a condo are real picky, at least the ones around here are.
  5. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I would go for 66% instead of 50%. Give yourself a little extra incase season goes long.
  6. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas Senior Member

Hey where in Michigan are you? I had a condo/complex call me last week with a similar problem - they were in Saint Claire Shores. When I actually went out to look at the complex and bid it, I was almost twice as high as the previous contractor (the one that they had all sorts of problems with)..... to which I replied.... "well that's the kind of service I would expect at that kind of price"......If you want professional service, it's gonna cost you $XXX"

These people sometimes just kill me. They deserve what they get. If I bought a Western Uni-mount from a dealer for $800 (knowing that they normally go for $3500-4000), I'd have no one to blame but myself when that unit fell apart. If it quacks like a duck.....
  7. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

If I was you Id put a little time into this account. It could be a real money maker but it could turn into a real pita too. You may want to find out just what happened to the last guy. These ppl maybe impossible to please, just a thought...Rob
  8. alternative

Jason .. im right there... SCS.. but not the one i bid on... ?? what one did you get a call from>>?? where in scs... ? this one is in ClintonTwp.. anyway..i found that the last snow(12") the contractor didnt get there until sunday at 5:00pm and it had started snowing Friday night and stopped on Sat at about 1:00pm.. so the condo assoc. was pissed that they were stuck for over 2 days.. the contractor didnt return calls... told them he was coming to service and didnt get there till Sunday... thats what really upset them(the Assoc.. but i have recieved many calls after that storm and really backed up the contractor saying" that was a blizzard" and its hard to keep up ..and so on. but on the flip side.. i also said .. its not acceptable to come 36hour after the storm... *the other problem the assoc had was how he stacked the snow... i looked yesterday.. and he;s gotta be a beginner..pile everywhere that they shouldnt be... (you need ski's to put your trash in the dumpster* and Waste Mgt..didnt like that)sidewalks had one snowblower pass cut. he blocked dumpster, fire hydrant, handicapp parking spaces.. buried walkways to carport... just a poor job.. but i told the pres.. "you get what you pay for"! i told him what i would charge if it were a full season... and then he replied that they paid this contractor exactly HALF.... i say you see... you really get what you pay for.. its bad contracting.. and you bet this guy is goin after his money... the KID or contractor bailed..he said im sorry i cant keep you happy ---better get someone else.. and no more was heard as of last week... so the assoc..... heard of me and called..and here we are!!!!
  9. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

I live in a townhouse situation. You do know that the assoc. board is the least of your worries. You will have to deal with every nut that lives there as well. Perhaps you already do this kind of contracting. It's a real time killer so make sure the price is right( for the aggravation I mean).
  10. alternative

I know all about assoc.. each person/unit.. thinks they are the boss... do this do that.. i know its a pita... but you just ignore them... say OK... bye
  11. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GUYS...........I hear ya about the "Condo commandos" !!!!!!!

I finally busted the move last year and sold my condo in Daytona and moved
    out west of town into a small mobile park.
    Sick of all the "BOSSES"...........It was cool tho. being on the beach.
    But some butthead complaining or nitpicking ALL the time got to be too much!

NOW 1 COOL owner with 1 set of rules for ALL ! No back stabbing BS to deal
    with anymore........NO snow either !!!!.....geo :drinkup:

CHARGE them DOUBLE $$$$ for the rest of the year and don't back down !
    They get what they pay for! :gunsfiring:
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  12. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I used to have the contract on a 43 house (patio homes kinda) with an association, I did all 4 seasons.
    what a PITA, too many bosses, too many crybabies, everybody wants to be 1st for mowing, mulching, edging, snowplowing and whatever else. This guy doesn't like ztr mowers and wants mowed with a hand mower, this guy wants to be mowed with a walk-behind. I added 10% right on top for this kind of crap, and it still wans't enough. They don't have enough money for me to ever come back, and I've been approached about would I consider it. I finially told them one time about the mulch, that unless they wanted to pay for an airplane to fly over and drop the mulch, someone would have to be 1st and someone last. Bizarre to say the least.
  13. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

How do you know the Contractor didn't dump them for non payment. Every condo site that I used to do they took 60 to 90 days to pay. Management company would submit bill to the board then had to wait for finance officer to write the check and mail back to the management company. Did you ever notice how many contractors have done the site in last 5 years? If it a lot different companies. I wouldn't even bid it.
  14. alternative

I priced it at 65% of what i would charge for the season.. and said i need the check before any services happen... idont think it was a matter of contractor bail because non payment since it was a sesonal pre pay contract... they got the whole season up front from what i hear.. and i Got the lead or referral...because my accountants asst. lives in the condos... she told the pres about me and he called... wether they sign and pay... i could care less.. if they do .. another job on schedule.. if no sign ... ohwell...
  15. Jason Pallas

Alternative - this complex was at Marter and Jefferson. I think it was called Chapaton Manor or Chapaton Chateaux or something.
    I agree with the condo thing - make sure you have them designate a contact person for you. Otherwise, you'll have every jerk in the world that lives there telling you what to do. We did an apartment complex - what a headache. Every jerk in the world that lived there thought they could boss us around. Somehow our office number got handed around - we used to get calls 24/7 about the smallest pile of snow or bit of ice. We finally told them that if we continued to have to come out at the very whim of anyone that lived there, we would have to bill them $45 per call/minimum. They didn't get it until we gave them a bill for another $450 the next month for the 10 extra BS service calls we fielded from their residents. That put an end to that right away - Now we only deal with one person.

JKOOPERS Senior Member

i just picked up a 15 nuit condo complex and the pres told me when signing the contract that him and the treasurer were the only ones to approve work or to even contact period. no problems here so far. they pay with in 2 weeks of me sending the bill.
  17. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Hey, good luck with getting the account.

Sorry to nitpick, but, do you realize that you use ... in place of every kind of punctuation and between every sentence? It's very strange and it makes your posts sort of difficult to read. You have good things to say but they are defeated somewhat by your very unusual writing style. I would lose about 99% of the periods in your writing, and then replace a few of them with commas and you'll be all set.

18. alternative

thanks professor, didnt know this was beign spell checked for grammar... sorry about the .............................................................'s no really that means a pause when speaking. oh well
  19. alternative

Jason.. i have bid at Chapaton Manor in the past. They are so cheap, and always go with lowballers. Someone actually does that lawn for like 50.00 i was way higher, and they tried to get me one year to bail them out of a blizzard. Gave her the price and she tried "chiseling me down to the knuckles"
    I told her no way.. and left
  20. Jason Pallas

Alternative - that's so funny! We bid $1100 on the job - I thought she was gonna choke. She told me that they had been paying about $500. Hey - that's what you get for $500. Just out of curiosity what did you bid it at?

BTW - Looks like we might get a little snow later this week Tues - Wed. That'd be nice.