1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Here we go...Ford, GM, or Dodge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NoFearDeere, Jan 12, 2014.

1. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Im going to buy a new truck within the next month. (Crew cab diesel 4x4) I cant make up my mind which is the best one. Im leaning towards the Ford or Chevy but still not sure. Anyone that has a newer Ford, GM, or Dodge diesel...hows the mileage? Power? Any problems?

2. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

I have a 12 f350 supercab diesel. 8k miles- no issues...tons of power. Pickup, low end torque is awesome and highway. averaging @16-17 miles to the gallon on the dash almost exclusively around town driving. I love the truck, I can't speak for the other brands.

3. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

The other thing is that it starts right up when its cold....literally 0 degrees and it fires right over without being plugged in. Starts like a gas truck

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I'm not going to piss on other brands or other people's preferences, but I've got a '13 Ram 2500 crew cab diesel and I love it as well. Ram has the most torque available in a diesel and I love every bit of it. Have had some issues gelling up last week, but it was twenty below here and I don't think it has anything to do with the truck. It was my own dumb-ass fault for forgetting to put Power Source in the fuel tank when I knew the cold was coming.

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I hear that they are all good, they all suck, some hate them, some love them, and everyone's brother has had a nightmare at the dealership with all of them. :laughing:

The question is...which one do you like the best?

6. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

I own 2 f250's, chevy 2500hd, dodge 3500 dually diesal, I love all 3 american makes, they all have there good and bad.

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

12-14 mpg out of my 6.2 gasser regulary with 11,800 miles on the ticker.

8. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I think part for part they are all about the same. Hp this torque that. It really comes down to a personal preference. Go out drive them all. See what feels comfortable to you.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The cummins engine can't be beat.
    It tows like a dream.

10. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

only problem is the rest of the truck:laughing:

11. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

One thing I will say, which you guys brought up, my 2008 6.7 Cummins I have now always starts without being plugged in and never gels. Been a very good truck for me

12. jim5x5

jim5x5 Member

I went with the 2013 ford F350 lariat crew cab, short bed 6.7 mainly because it has the most cab room, chevy isn't coming out with there updated version till next year, and I didn't want a first year DEF system on a dodge. I liked the looks of the dodge interior best. The only complaints I have on my superduty is it only comes with a 26 gal fuel tank on short beds. It's real comfortable and a lot of power. It got low 20's on a trip to Florida running 85-90 most of the time. 18 around town and 10.2 the last snow storm in Chicago plowing

13. jim5x5

jim5x5 Member

-19 below and fired right up not plugging it in. I did double up on the anti gel tho and had no problems. Pulled a couple semi cabs out of some drifts.

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Not really, they all fall apart in time.

15. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

I agree with the small tank thing. If there was something I could change it would be that. 36 or 40 gallon tank

16. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

some just considerably faster than others

17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Na keep trying.:waving:

At least we don't need to remove the cab to work on the engine if we had to....

Truck longevity has more to do with the driver and maintenance that it has to do with the brand..

18. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Ok, I am ready.

PopcornHugeBags.jpg