1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Here we go again Omaha !!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JMR, Feb 1, 2004.

1. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Just got done pushing a couple inches off the main parking spots on both our shopping centers. It was a futile battle though. Snow is falling at 1 to 3 inches per hour. Blew off the walks and put down some salt on the walks. The weather service is calling for 12+ inches, but at the rate it is falling I think we could get more. The problem is going to be, finding places to put it. They do however say that Omaha is in the heart of the HEAVY snow band. I'm going to break for awhile and watch the game. Looks to be a sleepless couple of days coming up. My addiction to plowing is getting its fix lately. Be safe out there and if you haven't been getting snow, I hope its coming your way.payup payup

2. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Im looking out my window right now and i cant even tell where the street is. Did the drive way and walk earlyer and now its covered with about 3-4 inches of snow.

3. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

Yeah.. I just pick up 3 business lots and 2 home drive ways.
    Could't wait on when to START. am't sure if those business will be open on monday for business, every one will be stuck again like last monday!

4. JMR

JMR Senior Member

5. intimidator

intimidator Member

I live in Beatrice, and we've already got 8 " on the ground and its snowing again, going to be a long night, again. Its a repeat storm of last weekend. Picked up 6 new accounts because the other guys can't keep up.

6. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

Snowing good here in Ames, IA. Good luck to you guys, stay warm, and makes lots of payup

7. ShannonS

ShannonS Member
    from IOWA

Hey diesel geek, you are gonna get lots of snow hope you send alot my way too, over towards Iowa city area.

8. Hey you guys with all the snow,
    I hope it comes this way too. We were soppost to be knee deep right now but nothin. They said the other day up to 19" but who can believe it. Now some freezin rain it the forecast also. What a bad deal.

9. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Nothing doing up here. It's supposed to get above freezing this week.

10. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

Probably 6'' or 7'' here right now, with more on the way, gonna be a long night and day tomorrow... Good luck guys.

11. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Official total for Omaha 11.3" of snow. We now have almost 2' of snow on the ground. NWS has issued a winter storm watch for tomorrow, more on the way. Calling for 4-8" maybe more. We are running out places to put it. Omaha isn't used to back to back 1 foot snow storms. Only a few of my customers have authorized us to bring in loaders to move snow. Our average snowfall is only 29+ inches, but it usually comes in 4-6" increments with time to melt between storms. 7 events per year is average. Yesterday was #5. 27 total hours of pushing snow, 24 of those hours without a break. I'm not complaining, this is going to be a very good year.payup payup

12. jcfeder

jcfeder Junior Member
    from neb

WHAT A STORM Things went forever. I want to thank SNOW JAW he did some lots for me and they were great. Want to thank plow site for letting me meet some in my town. IT was the hardest storm i have ever did lost water in my home over the storm and broke a window on one of my jobs. (From a snowblower):( The only good thing was it snowed.:) It looks like wed more snow what a week. the only thing is were are we going to put it.:confused:

13. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

Got about 8 inches here in Ames, more on the way tomorrow. I guess I'm lucky in that where I work we have access to a loader, but on the other hand, I just get paid regular wage to move snow...

14. JMR

JMR Senior Member

It was a great storm. Things went smoother for us as a whole than the 13+" the week before. I was short my right hand man. Mike the M in JMR suffered his 3rd heart attack early Sat. Morning. They did an angioplasty and he should be fine. He got out the hospital Sunday night and should be back to wrenching next Monday. The doctors did clear him to plow some for Thur., but no shoveling or snow blowing. We put his son in his truck so as not to be short a truck and all went pretty well. We only called in subs for a couple of lots, 3 hours total. Very profitable last couple of weeks. Keep the snow blowers pointed away from the houses, be safe, stay warm, and THINK MORE SNOW!!!!!! payup payup

15. grlandscaping

grlandscaping Junior Member

It keeps coming...

Hello all, what a snow huh?

Well, this is my first post on plowsite, but I've really enjoyed reading everything on here.

I hope everyone is catching up on their sleep before wed. and thrusday, I know i'm trying to. I love all the snow, but come on, snowing during the super bowl?? i wasn't able to drink my share of the beer!:drinkup:

16. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

Hello all again omaha SNOW!
    Yes I enjoy working with jcfeder plowing those 3 business lots.
    am looking forward doing it again..

Some one just give me a FREE snow blower.. it will need engine work on has not been used for 2 years. I think it's a 24 inch.

Man running out room to put the snow?? I guess need to bring in my loader tractor from far away! I wish..... if I can find a truck and some where to park it and plug it in to keep warm.

here's a pic of loader..

17. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

oops.. did't show the pic.. well here it is.. [​IMG]

18. JMR

JMR Senior Member

It was supposed to start snowing tonight around 6:00pm. Well its 5:30am and guess what, Its snowing. Forecast for snow now upped to 8-10" with this being a prolonged event. Another fix for my snow plow addiction. I will certainly need counseling and probably rehab after this next round.

My wife now calls herself a snow plow widow. Last storm I left her my back up plow truck. Told her to get some practice doing the relatives and neighbors driveways. I think she's starting to get the hang of it. Didn't see as much turf in the piles at the last couple of drives she did. I should probably turn here loose in one of my shopping centers where she can't hit anything.

Everybody be careful out there.payup payup

19. two-niner

two-niner Junior Member

Are we still supposed to get 8" to 10" tonight and tomorrow? It's almost 4pm and the radar looks like it's passing to our south:mad:

Hopefully it's just building strength...another 10" would be outstanding:D

20. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Well it took its time getting here. I thought we were going to get missed this time. NWS had down graded everything, but new release just upgraded everything.

Local Severe Weather Alerts

Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service

...BOONE-BUTLER-CASS-COLFAX-DODGE-DOUGLAS-FREMONT-HARRISON-LANCASTER- MILLS-MONTGOMERY-OTOE-PAGE-PLATTE-POTTAWATTAMIE-SARPY-SAUNDERS- SEWARD-SHELBY-WASHINGTON- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... COLUMBUS... LINCOLN AND OMAHA 930 AM CST THU FEB 5 2004
    ... WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM CST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN OMAHA HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR MUCH OF EASTERN NEBRASKA AND SOUTHWEST IOWA FOR TODAY AND TONIGHT. SNOW... OCCASIONALLY HEAVY... WILL FALL OVER THE REGION INTO TONIGHT. SNOWFALL OF 5 TO 6 INCHES IS LIKELY TODAY WITH ANOTHER 2 TO 4 INCHES POSSIBLE TONIGHT. THE SNOW SHOULD DECREASE TO FLURRIES FRIDAY MORNING BUT ANOTHER INCH IS POSSIBLE. THIS WOULD BRING STORM TOTALS INTO THE 7 TO 11 INCH RANGE. INCREASING NORTH WINDS ON FRIDAY WILL CAUSE AREAS OF DRIFTING SNOW CAUSING FURTHER TRAVEL PROBLEMS.

A WINTER STORM WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SEVERE WINTER WEATHER IS EXPECTED TO OCCUR. HEAVY SNOW AND OR ICE ARE FORECAST TO ACCUMULATE IN THE AFFECTED AREAS CAUSING HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS.

ANY TRAVEL IS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED. IF YOU LEAVE THE SAFETY OF BEING INDOORS... YOU ARE PUTTING YOUR LIFE AT RISK.

Close this window