1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Here we go again. Its getting old!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We've had an average to a bit below average winter in inches so far BUT the majority of our storms have been several inches per hour thing, high winds and usually they all start in the wee hours in the morning and go till evening. We just got buried with well over a foot Sunday night into Monday morning. Now, Thursday night (Friday morning) supposed to get at least another 10 inches. Anyone want to plow?????
  2. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

I'd love to...beats the rain/ice /sleet mess we're suppossed to get
  3. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

best wishes. my guys will be busy too, but we are getting a few weaklings showing their true colors as well. Do you weed them out or try to groom them? That's the tough part. I try to treat them as I would like to be treated, but that's tough sometimes because I am a tough person that demands a TON out of myself. Some people are wired differently.
  4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

For sure, Im even burned out recently. This week this will be event number 4, and really all had to done in the morning hours. It's nice when you can just stay up, go to work at 10-11 pm and start your route...sending guys to bed, to have them get up at 3 am, having things done by 6-7 am....I'm not having any fun. I'm kinda "tuff" too. It's really hard for me to draw the line between are we asking too much out of the guys and they are going to quit, or are they ok but just tired and cranky
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

this is the firts year I am tired of all the snow
  6. Brian Young

Just got a text back from a guy who was all excited to plow. His phone message this morning......"Hey Brian I heard you guys were looking for some DECENT, RELIABLE plower's. I would love to finish out the year with you guys because I had back surgery and left my truck and route in the hands of a few guys who lost all but a few accounts for me I NEED THE MONEY. I will call you this afternoon after I check with my wife :laughing:." So of course we didn't hear from him so I called him back and his response was......(in a text, not even man enough to actually call) my wife said no because it will mess up her SSI/SSD. Are you F'ing kidding me! I can't wait until next season......we're down sizing, either fixing up or selling our dump and buying another P/U so we can just use me and our employee's (If we can find them) and do nothing that a few trucks can't handle. As far as weeding them or grooming them, I just figure they typical POS thats out there any more are all the same so I don't expect them to stick around for very long.
  7. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

One thing I've learned about the snow business-either too much or not enough! Sock the money away for the years that everyone screams about "where's the snow!"

And if guy's are over worked in this economy-wait until things get better and they won't want to go out at all. It's a tough business, charge well and pay well!
  8. Brian Young

Hey if you can make it here by 4ish am bring a P/U
  9. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

It drives me crazy when people dont hold up to their word. I just started subbing for a company this year and I make sure im always reliable and try to do my best work only because I know what its like to get stiffed by employees.
    A couple fo my buddies subbed for a different company for the past few years, one was in a truck the other in a bobcat. all of the sudden this winter theyve stood their manager up a bunch of times, telling him theyd be in and then never answer the phone in the morning. i can understand getting sick of being in a bobcat all the time but at least man up and speak up, it drives me nuts when they do it cause i know how their manager feels. maybe they need to pay more, idk. but you definatly have to be some sort of stupid to really love plowing. it really is a stupid business, im not saying it doesnt pay well cause it helps me survive in the winter but you definatly have to have something wrong with you to really enjoy it hahaha. its definatly not for the faint of heart, some guys cant handle it. it may sound weird but i find it sort of peaceful to be in my truck with the radio on, 2am and snow falling all out there by myself, no one to bother me, just pushing flakes.
    anyway, sorry for rambling but i hope you find some reliable help. maybe you should try interviewing people alittle closer before you take them on?
  10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

In the same boat all this season and again tonight. Snow just before dawn.
  11. cpmi

cpmi Senior Member
    from CT

That's the way most of our storms have been this year also-I don't think we've had one yet where it was finished before dawn.
  12. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Sounds like a typical season in Maine... we're getting about 10"-12" tomorrow also... but ya it does get to ya when you don't have a break... luckly for us in maine I've had about a 2 week break in the snow action, so bring it on!... then let it go, as I'm ready for spring!...LOL
  13. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Every storm has been the same here too. Snow comes in between midnight and 2 and I'm out the door at 330, snow stops in the afternoon, get everything done and then a burst of snow to recoat everything enough to do it again. But soon enough, we'll all miss it and wish for a freak snow in June so soak it up while you can.
  14. Cutter1

Cutter1 Senior Member

we have rain coming this week in Pittsburgh Brian. I can bring the fleet up there!! 4 trucks with experienced no ******** drivers.
  15. Brian Young

I'll take 1 truck, I'll keep it on a few easy lots. We're supposed to be getting it buy 4ish am.
  16. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Theres a good chance I'll be salting here tomorrow morning...if we had nothing coming or just definite rain I wouldnt think twice about coming over
  17. Brian Young

LOL I know, I'm pre salting the he!! out of everything to try to keep a couple inches at bay. Plus I don't want to be stuck with 20 some tons of salt in a couple weeks.
  18. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Its got to be hard finding good people to work for you. Anybody good enough is probably smart enough to work for himself. Having a stake in a company is probably the main driver to wake up every couple hours- is it here yet , and get out the door at 2-3am work to 8-9am have breakfast and go for another round. I worked for a Landscape company and showed up ready to work on a rainy day -they told me no work today. At $10/hr that's not gonna drive me except to open my own business. Plowing really is the type of business meant for owner operators- Permanent jet lag- but you put up with it because the money is good. I'm just hitting 6 weeks worth of work at end of Feb. That means if I don't count Nov, I've had a 6 week vacation . Not many jobs provide that.
  19. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Brian, You'll feel like that every big storm, or morning storm you get. When the pressure is on, things just don't get done fast enough, things break. Once the checks come in, you'll be saying wow, maybe that wasn't so bad after all! It's the nature of the business. I will agree that it is not for the faint of heart, and it takes a certain breed. Like said, alot of that breed being not all there upstairs!
  20. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

It used to be worth the stress and other problems but the money keeps going down and it is close to not being worth it.