1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Here we go again :-( disappointed with Fisher engineering good grief

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by treefarm, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treefarm

treefarm Member

Okay so I'm the guy who they originally pulled my post down complaining, so then reposting I had some wonderful information and helpful suggestions some factory reps reached out and trust me I will be contacting them tomorrow with two major questions not only are the hoses leaking but they found three other lines were faulty. To my surprise considering this plows only plow two times it was put on the truck in August I had to pay for the hoses $186 for parts and labor they said once Fisher OKs it I will get my money back what's the point of a two-year warranty if it's out of my pocket ridiculous. My biggest concern is the new hydraulic lines look as weak as the original has anyone else experienced this problem, I'm going back to my original question can this plow handle pushing snow??? It has been a very light winter there's been no real stacking just pushing the biggest storm so far is about 9 inches which I plowed over the storm if this plow cannot handle my driveway how the hell do you commercial plow with it. I'm actually afraid to use it I feel if I push into a snow bank I'll be damaging something this is ridiculous.

IMG_0265.jpg

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

That's BS...you shouldn't of been charged. I see an a** reaming in your dealer's near future. The only time I've ever heard of someone having to pay is when abuse was suspected. Obviously that's not the case here.

In regards to the hoses...obviously they had / have a batch of crappy lines. Sorry to hear your still having on going issues. I've been there, it wears on you. Good luck!

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

By the sounds of it you should be also blaming who ever installed the plow. No dealer I know makes you pay for warranty up front and then you get reimbursed. Picture seems to show a simple loose connection. Tighten it down and go.

My XV came new with a bad angle ram, dealer tried repacking. After that didn't work they got me a new ram, no money out of my pocket. I would be looking for a new dealer if I were you.

4. John Murphy

John Murphy Senior Member

Feel free to call me tomorrow morning and we will get your situation resolved. 207-701-4230.

John Murphy
    VP, Sales
    Douglas Dynamics

5. treefarm

treefarm Member

Yeah I thought it was ridiculous too that they would charge me for warranty work considering the plow doesn't even have a scratch on it as I stated earlier just going down my road. I wonder if I could find aftermarket heavy-duty hydraulic lines ? I just don't see the new lines lasting either, there isn't much to the clamp very flimsy on the end of the hose before the fitting. There's nothing to tighten they are leaking behind the tightening bolt to the cylinder. I will be contacting Fisher tomorrow to find out about this out-of-pocket pay and reimbursement BS. I hope factory representatives chimes in on this warranty issue. Once again I wish I never sold my HD straight blade this really sucks. One other thing I really don't blame my dealer for charging me it sounds like they have been hung out to dry many other times by Fisher, they actually took me in today with no appointment and fixed it and found the other ones which were slowly leaking take care

6. treefarm

treefarm Member

no problem i will call you tomorrow and thank you for the reply

7. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Treefarm, please help us dealers out by providing some feedback, if it is not too much to ask. Obviously, not having to pay for a repair that was not your fault would have helped. What else has would have made the scenario less stressful? (besides not having hoses leak in the first place)

8. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

You can't ask for more (as far as after the sale service) than having the VP of sales @ Fisher give you his direct number. I applaud Mr. Murphy for that.

I have a 9.5' Xtreme, and I have used it pretty hard- not abusive by any stretch- but I haven't been walking on eggshells with it..no issue except the breather on top of the hydro package is seeping some oil..not a leak so much as the fluid is "creeping" like liquid petrolium does on a surface. I am not concerned.
    I hope you get the hoses replaced and you are all set to go with no more issues.

9. bliz&hinikerDLR

Also, does anyone know if these are the JIC (flared) fittings or pipe? I am guessing JIC since they will usually leak like this if the fitting itself cracks.
    Heavy duty hoses are not needed for this application ... just a hose that hasn't been compromised.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

John - is the Fisher Blue fluid petroleum based? Always thought it interesting how it makes a blue slush when it gets in snow.

11. treefarm

treefarm Member

Okay for quick recap I call the rep today very polite conversation nice gentleman a three-way conversation with his technical support team basically assured me I would get my money back and explained the issue I had was probably dealer related with the tightening of new compression fittings. I basically explained to them as I tried too explain to the world the feeling of absolute anger over a $6000 plow oh I'm sorry $5400 that would leak oil or have any problem within the first few months just basically ridiculous it's no one's fault really these things happen it just wears on you as someone stated earlier. I'm hoping for future happiness with my expensive toy :) and no more complaints at least I hope so ;-). I have reached a reasonable compensation with Fisher after all they are a top notch company with a long history of satisfied customers not trying to be a cheerleader just honest in the end any manufactured product can have a problem its how they deal with you after the sale that's important to me right now they have A+ rating with me, would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone I have been very well taken care thank you again for all the support and I am really quite surprised by the amount of attention this has received take care all and thank you again for not making me feel like I was going at this by myself support is always a good feeling good night

12. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes, they are JIC. if they are overtightened they will crack. Here at our place, if we had installed it we would not have charged the customer, because we'd figure it was either mfr defect or our fault. If he had installed it himself we would probably not have charged up front either, unless we suspected that it might not be covered.
    Sometimes we do charge up front and then credit after we receive credit if the plow was purchased somewhere else.

13. RepoMan207

from Maine

Nothing against you Nealy, but that's BS, if you have proof of purchase showing it's in fact under warranty, and you're an actual dealer...it shouldn't matter. Take the OP's situation as an example...there is obviously no way he could of abused it to break this component, so why wouldn't you cover it. If' you were talking a center pin, bent T frame, bent jack stand...stuff that actually could be abused, and not just a weak component or defect; that would be something I could understand. For a dealer to be able to make an up front decision as to what is, and isn't covered is BS....unless of coarse it's overly obvious, or there was a statement of omission. Take a credit card and advise them there is a possibility to be charged IF it comes back denied. For what we pay for snow plows today, it's absolutely ridiculous. I sell and buy my plows before the warranty is up for this exact reason. Not because I don't know how to work on them, but because I don't think I should have to. Not to mention the QC has been such crap lately that I don't dare have one that is out of warranty. On another note, I would be very interested to read a copy of the dealer agreement.

14. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

You should be happy now! These are great plows, the only issue we ever had with hoses are replacing 1 set on our 06 and that was last year, if I had a dime for as many times as that thing has gone up and down I could probably take a season off. No other issues to date! And I agree taking money up front for an obvious warranty claim is beyond bs....I'd be looking for a new dealer!

15. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

I didn't say we always make people pay up front if they bought it somewhere else, I said sometimes. in other words, if there is any risk that we might not be reimbursed, for whatever reason, why should we stick our neck out when we didn't even sell the plow? If it's an 'obvious warranty situation' we wouldn't have any trouble covering it from the get go.

16. bliz&hinikerDLR

I have never seen any dealer agreement that requires the dealer to perform warranty work.

With DD's warranty claim system, they set the amount of time it takes to preform the repair. They also only reimburse the dealer cost of any parts, no more. If they want parts back, the dealer pays the shipping. The only way we come out ahead is if the technician can perform the work and the claim can be filed in less than the amount of time DD gives us ... which isn't often.

So most likely we break even or lose money on a warranty repair. Other than upholding the brand name and our own name, we don't have much incentive to do warranty work on plows sold by other dealers. With that said, I don't think we have ever turned away a warranty repair.

17. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

true, and well said.

18. RepoMan207

from Maine

That is correct, your exact words were "Sometimes we do charge up front and then credit after we receive credit if the plow was purchased somewhere else."...I can't read your mind, I went off what I saw at the time. This statement above is simply wrong in my consumer opinion. With that being said, your later clarification of "if there is any risk that we might not be reimbursed" that kind of puts that in perspective.

I find your first statement very hard to believe due to the fact that I've been told otherwise by Fisher directly a few years back. In fact, I may even have a recording of that particular phone conversation, as it was back when I was documenting almost everything in that XLS dibocal. Someone has their wires crossed, I'm not saying it's you, but as I said, I've been told otherwise.

I'm confused, you go on to say you only get paid for parts...but then you allude to the fact that you get paid labor...what am I missing? Or are you meaning profit for the part, when you say "They also only reimburse the dealer cost of any parts, no more".?.?

If your breaking even for parts and labor on a warranty claim as a dealer...in exchange for a territorial sales region, then I'm sorry, but I don't see anything wrong with that. That's the price you pay for your agreement with D&D. Your not out any money, and your guys are being kept busy....ya see what I'm saying? So your attitude of " we don't have much incentive to do warranty work " isn't really accurate is it?

19. bliz&hinikerDLR

Could be that there is one, but I have not seen an agreement nor am I aware of one ... original Blizzard dealer = we inherited DD

Correct, we get a "free part" so to speak, we do not make a profit on the part. We get credited (we do not receive a check, so we can't directly pay anyones wages) for the labor, and DD tells us how much that credit will be for a particular repair.

20. RepoMan207

from Maine

Off the beaten path for a moment, out of pure curiosity, does the dealer have to pay to send their guys to FAST...or whatever they call the tech school these days. I'm sure their paycheck and productivity loss is on you, but what about transportation, lodging, and the actual course?

yeah and no, rob Peter to pay Paul; you're spending it regardless, it's just a matter of what pot it comes out of. I can see where that would hurt the ledger and piss you off though. That explains a few times my plow sat at my service dealer waiting on parts to come via UPS from Rockland when they had them right on the shelf. There might of been more then I knew going on there.

I can appreciate that. For better or worse kind of thing. I know what you're talking about, it's a substantial investment with them when it comes to their inventory guidelines. I've looked into it.

Tool are tools, they''re right offs anyway. I personally own most of D&D tools myself, they weren't that much. I think the ISO tester was the most expensive at $130. But you're right, it's an added expense to consider....it's not even a tear drop in the lake compared to what they make you buy in inventory though.

:nono: You wouldn't feel that way if we were talking about your brand new Chevy, and you broke down. A dealer is a dealer...doesn't matter if it's a major car brand, or a snow & ice equipment brand...this is what you signed up for as a dealer. In exchange you are able to sell the product, service the product, receive factory training, set your non compete territory and more......Joe Shmoe can't buy from the factory directly... whether it be parts, or products. If I live in zip code XXXXX and I need a part, or service...I'm going to you because you're around the corner. The only reason I wouldn't buy the actual product from you, and I would go to a guy 2 hours away, in another territory, is what?? Price, or reputation would be my answer. I'm sorry, but when it comes to my wallet, the later doesn't apply, after all, they're not making the product; they're selling it. What's the difference between your pricing, compared to the guy 2 hours away in the other territory??? There lies any issue a dealer may have with a local customer in their shop for warranty work with someone else's product...or sale, whatever you want to call it.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.