1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

? here please help.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by yesilldoit, Feb 6, 2011.

1. yesilldoit

yesilldoit Junior Member
    from 60411

Ok. im in the process of getting a couple of contracts for snow removal. The manager wants my social security # to pay me i guess. would that affect my unemployment benefits that im receiving? would i just get like a 1099? please help. all my other jobs that i do pay cash on the spot.

p.s. i work for an asphalt paving company during the summer and get laid off in the winter.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

So by posting here I am assuming you are ready to be told the truth. First off since your not giving out your social, that means you most likely don't have a EIN (employer indetification number) which in turn means your not operating your plowing business as a legit business. Folow me here, cause this is where it gets tricky. If all of the above is true, that means you don't have workers comp, you don't have liability insurance, you don't have proper licenses, and that means your taking money under the table, and not paying taxes on them. The truest form of a LOWBALLER. So if you really want to do the right thing, give them your social, and deduct the earning from your unemployment (god forbid you make a little less money free from the rest of us legit business, and workers in the world). Other wise pass on these two accounts, and just go about your business the illegal way, and don't ask stupid questions.

3. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

At least if you're getting the 1099, then you're gonna pay in taxes...that's a step in the right direction. Becoming a legit business with a Tax ID will definately benefit you. You can then write off alot of your expenses, like insurance and repairs, fuel, etc. I won't sit here and yell at you, calling you a lowballer and all that, I know what its like to start a business without really knowing the business end. There's alot of guys doing this work for cash, there's alot of work out there. I would say to make a decision of sticking to some driveways for cash and collecting you unemployment (afterall, the government will F you whenever it can) or set yourself to get off the system for the off season and plow for real. Good luck with it all.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

you will be [ayting tax on the income

6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

No maybe I did overstep myself on calling him a lowballer. The jist of his whole post was how do I undermind the government, and unemployment. So really how legit of a business is he? If he so much as plows on drive for 20 dollars, and doesn't claim it on his unemployment, isn't that cheating the system? You remember the system that you and I have to pay for? So maybe calling him a lowballer is out of line on my part, but calling him a cheat should fit the bill closer. This is one thing that pisses me off beyond all belief. I have busted my butt for years, and now that I have expanded my business to the point of needing employees, I get applications all the time and during the interview the first question out of the prospective employees mouth is can you pay me under the table so it doesn't mess up my welfare, or unemployment? Maybe I shouldn't be so upset about that kind of thing, but when they are living off of what I pay in and then they want more of my money to boot, it just burns my butt. I have lived for 43 years, and have never had welfare, and only got unemployment for a total of 6 weeks in my life. When I became unemployed, I got a job. Even if it was a crappy job with little pay, it was better than sitting on my rear at home waiting for a handout.

7. Agree 110% about not cheating the unemployment or tax system!!!! i hate that and hear the under the table thing from prospective employees and subs all the time and my answer is always the same.....nope sorry I do things right!

8. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

But as long as he claims his income, which he has to if he gets a 1099, then the government takes it out of his unemployment. I understand not paying under the table for employees, try explaining the hundreds or more dollars unaccounted for in your books to your accountant, better have a paper trail.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Why should you be receiving unemployment benefits if you are working?

10. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

I have in the past, paid for products and service with cash. Saved a couple of $ I have been paid cash also. Didn't run to claim it. My tax guy asked why would I?
    I am not saying you can own/run a business year round and avoid paying taxes. If a person can make "some" cash, power to him.
    Collecting unemployment and working for a couple weeks for cash, I have read of politicians doing worst. Don't ask me who, there are a lot of them.

Yesilldoit, just do the cash work, dont get greedy.

11. yesilldoit

yesilldoit Junior Member
    from 60411

thanks guys

thank you all for your answers. the way i see it if i can "cheat" uncle sam on a couple of hundred bucks every snow storm, im going to do it. me and my family need that money more than the gov. in the future i will become a legit company thanks

12. 09Busa

09Busa Senior Member
    from NY

you are the same guy that sends your "friends" to your customers doors under false pretenses. You have alot of **lls talking about "doing things the right way.

13. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Government gives the rich all kinds of loop holes so they escape paying taxes. The rich are just working the system. They can afford all kinds of lawyers and accountants to work the system.

Poor guys out of work are not going to keep a house from going back to the bank on a few weeks off the books pay. But they may let him get rid of the bald front tires and put some new tires on the front of his jalopy so he can say he has transportation when he applies for that next job.

Most people don't get rich on unemployment. It's just the working class guy working the system from the bottom end.

Want to get hard on the working poor?

I say get hard on the rich and their loop holes first. Then on the government paying people money to not grow food.

14. BORIS

BORIS Senior Member

32vld you make me laugh. I would like you to identify these loop holes you are talking about. I bet you gave your vote to the democratic ticket didn't you. Just because you are lazy don't blame the people that aren't.

15. PPS. inc

PPS. inc Member
    from Earth

Pay all the taxes. Wrong place to come and ask questions like that. I pay my taxes. You should too or quit wasting my/our money. Your a drag on the economy. Thanks. Sell the plow to put a cpl months food on the table. It'll be more than you make pushing for these places.