1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Here is Whats Next

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DAZ982500, Sep 8, 2005.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

I went into the Garage for an inspection the other day.They told me that the following items would need to be corrected before I could receive an inspection sticker.You have a right broken spring (coil) you need new brake shoes on the rear.You have a problem with switch for brake lights .On top of this RPMS continue to go up and down at 50-55 mph on highway.This last problem was addressed at the dealership, they cleaned throttlebody out solved problem for 4 weeks.I will return to dealership in a week.Total repair bill 850.00 dollars, this was for two springs witch they recommended.I bought the truck last year 14k$, 55k miles on it.Payment 297 5yr loan 4 years to go.I have put over 2k into it in one year.How many of you have run into this sort of problem were you continue to dump money into a vehicle before you decide enough is enough.Considering what you can afford $, can you really find a good used truck with a plow on it.The particular vehicle I am talking about is a Dodge Ram 2500 SLT ext cab 8' bed 7.5 MYERS.I canot really afford to go out a buy new,but I do not want to get into another truck used to run into the same problem.This truck is both a personnal vehicle as well as business truck(lawn care/plowing).I either want the repair bills to slow down and stop or to move on.Thoughts on this.Dave out.

2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Buying a used vehicle is always a crap shoot... either it is good or a bad one... now throw in a used truck that plowed snow and chances are that you are going to have to sink money into it. I guess your best bet for a used plow truck is to buy a used truck that has never plowed.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Well, you can't blame anything or anyone for the brakes- fact of life in any vehicle and rear shoes are normally good for about 50K miles- so that's about right. Don;t know about the throttle body- I would suspect fairly normel for dirt to accumulate (I always clean out injected vehicle bodies on tuneup), depends on the air cleaner system.

As to the broken spring- That is something that should be looked for when buying a used vehicle- truck or car, plowed or not. Being a plow truck with only 55K miles I suspect someone doesn;t know how to plow. Not pointing fingers- could have been a friend of the previous owner, or an employee, or whatever. Depending on the year both springs may not have been necessary.
    Brake switch is common item on ALL vehicles- snow and water on the floor mats corrode the contacts, plus the switch does get used millions of times in a vehicle's lifespan you know.

There is a limit to how much you can put into a vehicle- but you have to factor the possibility in when you make an offer on it and make sure you look it over very well for things that may go wrong.

4. bigplow23

bigplow23 Junior Member

i agree with justme i own 4 trucks my self and i bought only 2 of them new the other 2 where use. the way i feel it is still cheaper to fix them then it is to buy a new one. the bigest thing is keeping up with the mantince and repairs. i know how you feel last summer i had to put transmissions in 2 of my dodges one right after the other thank god it was not snowing yet but i took it to the dealer and had factory transmissions install because they come with 3 year 36,000 mile warranty even if it is a plow truck so it is like haveing a new one. If i am not spending it at the dealer ship getting one repair i am spending it at the pump filling it up good luck with your truck

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

It's a hard decision buying something new vs. used.

Personally, since it's my work truck and I depend on it, I buy new.

I've got an '03 Dodge 2500 and an '05 Dodge 2500.

The '03 just had a U-joint go out of it, so that cost me $100. Now, on Tuesday, I had to put the '05 in the shop, it needs a new instrument cluster.

I got in the truck the other morning and my speedo said it had 62340 miles on it. I was like...... whooooaaaa.... 6234, yes, not 62340. Plus the "lamp out" light would come on, then go off, then come on, then go off, with no light out in the truck.

Plus, the doors would not unlock with the switch or the keyless entry, just the driver's door.

I pay $600 / month for 4 years for these trucks each, and add it into my expenses. I know I could get by with a cheaper truck as a back-up, but I try to keep these trucks for 4 years, putting about 70k miles on them and trading one every other year, meaning I'll trade the '03 in '07 and the '05 in '09, etc.

I know it'd be cheaper to go buy a '99 or something and just park it, but then my main truck would have about 110k miles when I trade and it wouldn't be worth anything.

This way I still get about 22-23k out of a truck on trade value, and can pay off a truck in 4 years fairly easily.

Once you get ahead of the game, it's not too bad.

It's a little easier to budget that same month's payment and know what it is, rather than say..... "Sheesh, hope something doesn't break again this month."

As for buying a used truck, personally I'd never buy a truck with a plow on again. I did that for my first plow truck, and the wiring was so messed up and other things wrong, that if I did buy a used truck, it'd have to be one that had never been plowed with, and I put my own plow on.

6. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

F/U, to the intial thread.All the work was completed for a, ouch 1058.00 dollars.I guess this was a lemon.No lesson here, sometimes its the luck of the draw.Dave :(

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Well, hopefully now you are ready push some snow problem free.

8. curty85

curty85 Junior Member

If you can, buy an old truck that is in decent shape for cash. Aside from age related stuff, my old Dodges have treated me fine. :drinkup:

9. trucks...

110 K miles is nothing is you have a diesel. So do you have CTD or gas trucks......??