1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Here is a Crazy One!!!!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by chaddy1228, Jan 1, 2009.

1. chaddy1228

chaddy1228 Junior Member

I have a 96 Chevy 3500 Dually with 6.5 Diesel. 9' Fisher with belt driven pump. When every I lift the plow and try to push a pile my headlights flick on and off, and all my dash lights go out. Battery light comes on and when I stop pushing everything is fine. It only happens when I am trying to push a big pile and put the motor under load. It never happens any other time. Anyone have any suggestions. I just yesterday put a new alternator in(due that wonderful snow storm here in CT) and a new tensioner. Belt is also new. My plow pump is new and belt is tight. Suction filter is also new. Can't figure it out.

PLEASE ADVISE::cry:

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

bad ground somewhere

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

agreed- it's nothing to do with the hydraulics- it has to be electrical- check for healight connections and poor grounds

4. chaddy1228

chaddy1228 Junior Member

Thanks for the input. The funny thing is that is only seems to happen while I am lifting the plow and pushing foward. It is almost like the hydrolics are causing the problem. I can't see how though. I am great at fixing things, almost everything except for electrical/. Any suggestion on where to check for a bad ground. The headlights are fine. I inspected all the wires everything looks OK. Just no Idea where to look for a bad ground.

5. morgan forest

morgan forest Junior Member

is it possible that the belt is slipping causing the alternator to cut out

6. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

find wiring schem for plow
    but you could see if it is grounded to bat or frame and then trace back through equip
    i know nothing on belt models but soulds way more elec
    the stress of something pushes a wire or changes the ground to a spot that is bad
    have someone work it and see flex points when doing operation
    could be pinching wire then it doesnt need to be ground because it may be then bridging to metal and not to what is to be powered.

7. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

Since it only happens when lifting the plow..... my guess would be the load from the hydraulic pump is causing the belt to slip on the crankshaft so everything driven by the belt slows down, including the alternator. Maybe some of that snow your pushing while lifting is coming over the top of the plow and hitting the crank pulley at the same time you have the heavy belt load.

8. .5racer

.5racer Senior Member

Wet belt is a good one to look for , another woud be a rub spot on the wireing in the up position that is starting to short at that one spot ,,, Just an idea

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Even if the belt slips it will NOT cause the dash lights to go out. It happens when you have a high torque on the engine. Id check for bad motor mount AND bad ground or power wire or connector that gets pulled on when the motor shifts.

10. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

If you plow in to a pile and torque the motor does it still happen, or does it need a combination of lifting and torque?
    What kind of lift control valves? Strictly mechanical or solenoid controlled?

11. chaddy1228

chaddy1228 Junior Member

It's all hydrolic. Only happens when lifting and pushing.

12. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

What controls the hydraulic valves though? Assuming it's not a belt slippage issue, it seems like the combination of engaging the lift valve and and load on the engine (which may be twisting/moving the engine in it's mounts) is maybe pulling on a bad connection or shorting a wire. Check around for loose or worn wires near the engine/pump/valve.

13. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

check the plug at the firewall, check cab mounts mine were lose and knocked the dist cap off once believe it or not.

14. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

This happened on the '96 3500 6.5 we just picked up. It is rare but the frames break around the front control arms. there is a main power wire that runs right by it and when the plow is stressed it pulls on the frame just enough to pull on the main power wire. You wont be able to tell the frame is broken just by looking at the truck. Kinda have to look hard for the break

Just a thought, check both sides

15. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

hey chaddy, you by chance a pilot?

16. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

im VFR single - just a hobby

17. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

For perspective- I had the same problem with my Ram and it's MM1 a few years ago- on pushing and lifting, usually piling the lights would cut out. Since there is no hydraulic coupling between them that eliminated that.... turned out it was the most common MM issue- broken wire in the plow side main harness- a $60 connector end from the dealer and some soldering cured it. Plow frame flexed just enough to flex the harness and open the break- look at the electrical.

18. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

I can see that causing the headlights to cut out but in addition to the headlights the dash lights go out and the battery light comes on.

19. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

heres why - Your plow isgenrally not fused ...even if it is...its a very high draw fuse

so when a positive wire rubs on a neg, or shorts, or rubbs on the chassy ground, or if salt water gets in the connectors... it can effectivly short the entire charging system. If it shorts the battery , all your lights and electonics may shut off, and yourbattery light may come on

well your talking alot of power... so if you inspect all the wires in the truck , and plow it should be visible were current (power) is arcing

I would start by unplugging the plow, and simulate plowing up into a snow bank... even go so fare as to push the joystick control up... try to figure out if this is a plow problem , or a truck problem, or a plow problem that is mounted to the truck , like a shorted solnoid.

even if the soilinoid was shorted it could possibly still work , and work the plow pump side to side, since draw for angling is alot less then rasing in alot of cases

If you put the plow up to a curb , and try to move the plow against it,.does it try and ight the curb , or does yoru power dim again

20. chaddy1228

chaddy1228 Junior Member

My plow is Strickly hydrolic. The only thing electric is the lights. I rewired the lights and installed a new ground. I hope this works I will see come the next storm.