1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Here comes boys, get ready.....

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by forestfireguy, Jan 31, 2011.

1. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

In NJ one of the largest salt pick up locations is Port Newark. One of my subs called me today freaking out that his supplier there is out of salt......For the season. Gouging should start any time now.
  2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Oh, boy. This is just what we need to cap off this miserable season. We've been getting beat down here with these snow storms. The totals have been very high, but not only that the storms have been intense. We got about 8 inches in 2 hours the other day...
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I just went to pick up a skid of salt that was ordered and paid for months ago. (not to mention the other 4 that are already paid for as well) Anyhow, I have been told that they are out of salt, and only expect 1 more truck which is 18 pallets worth for the rest of the season. I told them they had untill the ice hits here in the next 24 hours to have all 5 of my skids ready to be picked up, or I will be sueing them. Part of the agreement when I purchased the salt was that I had it locked in at that price, and they would store it as long as I took delivery of it before March 1st. Now in my eyes, that means they should not have sold my salt to anyone else, or they should have called and asked permission. I have called everywhere, and can only come up with 20 bags for this storm. Man I hope it's all snow, and no ice!!
  4. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

Wow that sucks!!! Good luck....
  5. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

That storm was awesome. We've been getting hammered too. We plow rite on the NH/MA line and have been getting buried. 2 more coming this week. high salt prices is the last thing every one needs. Good luck with the price gouging.
  6. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

Man, thats a bad deal. But it sounds to me like you didnt plan ahead. I keep AT LEAST a 2 ton buffer of ice melt in the shop in addition to our salt pile (about 70 tons right now) My customers would be pissed if I didnt have the materials to provide them proper service. Its just good businees to be prepared.
  7. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

8. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I absolutley have 2 skids in the shop already. This is exactly what I was doing. Planning ahead and trying to not have to worry about running out. Pick up a skind take it to the shop, and I would have had enough without any problems. Now I only have my 2 skid buffer, + 20 bags. Just not right if the material is already paid for.
  9. EvenCutLawnCare

Okay, from what you said i thought you meant you only had the one skid and 20 bags. Sometimes at places like that one person doesnt know what the other is doing and sell stuff they shouldnt. Good luck man.
  10. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

Thats what happens........when the guy selling the salt doesnt opearate the way the guys buying the salt do.......never trust that the guy your buying from is anything like you..........we have pallets at my residence............just because of what your saying! 5 years ago ice melt was selling for 30 bones a bag easy do to the shortage, one guy bought a truck load(20) pallets), and started selling 30$ bags to the guys that had pallets on reserve, he made a grip of cash just because the dealers didnt think we would get hit that hard that late in the season, lots of angry men with battle rams on there trucks! no good.....sad part is he bought the truck load of salt from the dealer that was holding all the salt for eveyone......bad bizness
  11. SouthJerseyPlow

SouthJerseyPlow Junior Member
    from 08009

These Guys Have Bulk Salt!!!

Advanced National Transport has 4,000 tons available right now!! They deliver anywhere and they have great prices. I have used them many times!! 1-888-868-0504 I hope this helps!!
  12. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

And here I am in Utah with hardly any snow this year. Been a FUBAR year. I had 35% the work I should have and will feel lucky to break even this season. And to top it all off I still have 16 tons of salt that I'm afraid I might be stuck with and I need it gone by the summer. Can't you guy share some of your weather with us out here?
  13. forestfireguy

Don't know if you work there or what you're used to paying but for 30% more than what I'm currently running these are the kind of guys I was warning people about......
  14. SouthJerseyPlow

SouthJerseyPlow Junior Member
    from 08009

Good Supplier

I do not work there. I was just trying to let everyone know that these guys have a large amount of salt stockpiled and they deliver pretty much across the country. I have done many jobs for them as well as used them for supplies. Good luck with your search.
  15. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

So what if they are charging 30% more. If salt is unavailable and these guys have it then it is a fair price.
  16. EvenCutLawnCare

I would say that fair pricing is relative to the amountt of a product that is availiable. Its not like you can't pass that cost along to the customer. If it really is an issue they will most likely hear about the problem before you tell them.
  17. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

Guess I jinxed it. Just got off the phone with my buddy saying that its so funny that we've had a salt "shortage" for the past 2 years, but this year everyone seems to have salt... i guess i was wrong
  18. forestfireguy

My suppliers have salt. I'm not really worried. My sub has opened an account with my vendor and is paying slightly more than I do. By slightly I mean 3-4% not 30-50%.

But in fairness to to SouthJerseyPlow, I've seen LOTS of first post PS members talk up vendors and products to fade away quickly......Sorry if I assumed the wrong thing.