1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by metallihockey88, Mar 6, 2009.

1. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

well...hasnt been much snow to plow and out of work right now so have a lot of free time. just picked up this 06 F250 and called LineX for a quote payup and lets say thats not in the budget. so thought id give this herculiner stuff a go. sanded the hell outta the bed, cleaned it all up and i was painting. lets just say red is a bad color to paint over. this is what i got after 2 coats. went on real nice, covered good but that red sticks out of every little place it can and unfortunately you never really notice this stuff til your done. back to menards to pick up another quart for some touchup. anyone else done this and have some feedback?..ive heard good and back so hopin mine will be a good one.

herculiner 2.jpg

herculiner 3.jpg
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I used that stuff once and I was happy with how it turned out. I didn't wear any gloves when I did the job and the crap was on my hands for weeks. I eventually had to take a chore boy with me into the shower and after a few days I finally got it all off :eek:
  3. metallihockey88

haha, ya that is usually me. i never wear gloves for anything, hands are always some funny color but heard this stuff is unremovable so took other peoples advice and glad i did. unfortunately did it barefoot so shoes didnt ruin it and got a little on my feet, but dont wear shoes outside usually so should come off pretty fast :drinkup:
  4. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Dude you gotta post some pics of the truck!
  5. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I used it after I tried the Duplicolor stuff and was unhappy with the finish. It was like ice when walking on it so I went with the Herculiner and have used and abused the bed and it's holding up mich better. Good choice if you ask me for around a 100.00.
  6. metallihockey88

yea, if it holds up like i hear it does, will be the best 100 bucks i ever spent. i dont beat on my beds too bad but nice if it keeps things from sliding around. my old truck had a rubber bed mat that was money for that but they arent cheap.
  7. metallihockey88

i threw em on here when i got the truck a few weeks ago but here ya go. best 20k i ever spent, love the truck.

8. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I love this stuff. I've used it on a few beds and rockers and it's awesome: holds up well, covers imperfections and it easy to touch up whenever. It smells good too.
  9. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I like the Herculiner better because of the fact that it has chunks of rubber in it. I have a drop in unit in my 98 and it started to rust under the liner so i took it out and put Herculiner under it and then the liner back in. I try not to abuse the bed to much but when we go burning for the burn team the air tanks usually end up in the bed and the gear as well after the burn because of the smell. With the Herculiner the tanks don't slide all over.
  10. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

Here are some pics of a 5 year old herculiner, its still not bad it has a few chips, but I use the bed every day. It has had stone, plows, washers, and what ever else dragged across it. I did do 3 coats though.

11. metallihockey88

lol...i did it in the street, didnt get to enjoy the aromas as much as some people have im sure :dizzy:
  12. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Did my trucks and boss's 2 trucks and we can still smell it in the shop almost three weeks later.
  13. JN16184

JN16184 Member

Spray It.....

I just did the inside of a fiberglass Jeep body....sprayed it with an undercaot gun. It came out great. You just have to take your time or it'll run a little off of the verticle sides. Easy to do this way, too.
  14. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

I did the same thing on my truck. Mine is red also, I bought two gallon kits and did 3 thick coats and a few weeks later I could see red again. So I cleaned it up real good and painted it with some gloss black spraypaint. it worked great. And the paint hasnt faded in the sun like the hurculiner did.
  15. Steve'sZr2

Steve'sZr2 Member

I think you would have had better results spraying it on, rather then brush/ roll it on. If its reasonable to your wallet, spray the next coat/ two coats on. You will get a much more even, smoother texture and use less liner. Then follow up with black and maybe a coat or two of duplicolor clear.

Its going to look nice in the end either way. :nod:
  16. Harleychvy

Harleychvy Senior Member

I put herculiner on a S-10 I had, it worked great. But the smell was pretty bad for about 4 days. I still have the sweatshirt I was wearing that day, and it has pieces of hercluiner all over it, thatwas about 8 years ago.
  17. wayside

wayside Junior Member

best thing i have used . looks good man.
  18. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

wow I read the 3rd sentence way to fast lol
  19. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I see you got a little on the paint. A little bug and tar remover and some elbow grease will take that right off.
  20. metallihockey88

yea, i got that off already..took the picture right after i finished and was still able to wipe it off but notice last night must have touched the outside of the bed or somethin cause theres some on the paint and its dry, wasnt a happy camper. been rainin all day but as soon as it clears gotta try to get that crap off, shouldnt be too bad i dont think