1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hemi with cold air intake ?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Geary44, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

im thinking about putting a cold air intake on my 2008 hemi and i have noticed on the picture i have seen all the trucks with them on have had to take off that plastic part under the hood that says " HEMI " on it, and i dont really want to take mine off so if any pictures or info would be great thanks

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Why would you care about that? You should be able to find pictures on the websites of the supposed "cold air intake" companies.

3. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

4. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

here are examples of what i was talking about

5. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

i was just wondering if you had to take that off with all cold air intakes or if anyone knew of one that could mount right where the stock air tube conected to that box

6. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

If you do one, consider a dry filter like the Amsoil EaAU series.
    That's what I use on my Charger:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

7. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I would say that it would have to come off with any "cold air" intake. It looks like that is an air box of some sort and part of the original intake tube which you would replace.

If I were you I would just put a new filter in it and leave it be. The cold air intakes are just a gimic if you as me. I have used them on cars and trucks and have not noticed an increase in mileage at all. The only thing that I notice is the sound which gets annoying after a little while. Save the money and buy your lady friend something nice :nod:

8. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

I agree with NBI Lawn, they are more for looks and change of sound than performance even though the makers claim hp improvements. The reason you would change out that "Hemi Lettered" box is because it is an intake silencer. CAI enthusiasts like the added noise like when you would flip the air cleaner lid in the old days plus the manufacture claims a smoother flow into the TB but in reality you have a throttle blade in the air path anyway.

I did my Charger that way to simply give the shaker scoop some functionality because a fake scoop seemed cheesy. I don't have one on my Ram and don't plan to. Your truck already gets cold air with the factory set up.

9. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

A good filter is all you need. I like K&N myself but they do require some service. Clean and re-oil. All the vehicles in the yard have K&N filters. Pays for itself after 30,000 miles.

10. wildbl1500

wildbl1500 Senior Member

I agree- a K&N replacement filter is the way to go. Both my Ram and my 300M have one now. My last 4 trucks and Wrangler had them too. Once you go through your first set of cleaner and oil, you can get a cleaning kit online. Keep a cheapo paper filter around to swap in while you let the K&N dry after cleaning.

11. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

the more i think about it , i agree with you all i'll just save the money and just get a replacement K&N filter

12. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

Amsoil also makes a drop in dry filter no need to apply cleaners, washing, waiting to dry and then oil leaving the possibility of either over or under oiling.
    They are very easy to clean.