1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hemi lifter noise

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by GMC99, Feb 7, 2012.

1. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

My girlfriend has a 2007 Jeep Commander with the hemi in it, it seems to have a lifter noise that comes and goes, it started about a year ago, and kind of flexuates in severity. I know these motors have lifter issues.. Have been reading about them... Any insight from you guys? Its been to, 2 different dealers and they say its normal (go figure)... Any thoughts on adding thicker oil? Should I try synthetic and some lucas? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
  2. nicksgarage

nicksgarage Junior Member

The lifter noise you are hearing is probably nothing more than the common "Hemi Tick". They pretty much all have it. When you say it started about a year ago, that was probably when you first noticed it. The first time I noticed it, I did a ton of searching and that was what I found. I also asked my mechanic, as well as a couple of forum junkies, and they said the same thing. I also noticed that the loudness of the ticking on my truck depended on the temperature because it effects the viscosity of the oil. Generally, it was louder when it was colder. I would just recommend using a good quality synthetic oil, and you should good to go.
  3. nicksgarage

nicksgarage Junior Member

I should also add that i first noticed it when my truck had about 15,000 miles(approx. 5 years ago). I sold it 4 months ago with 135,000 miles on it, and never had any engine issues. Just changed the oil, turned the key and it ran great every time.
  4. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Ive had the hemi tick in all my trucks. my 04 1500 was pretty loud, my 07 3500 isnt bad at all but my '12 2500 is noticeable. ive never had a problem with any of these hemis (knock on wood.) theyre very solid motors. Ive also run mobil 1 syn. in all my trucks. the mason dump i use mobil super. i wouldnt worry about it too much.
  5. Ram 08

Ram 08 Member

It is recommended to use 89 octane in the Hemi to limit the spark knock. If she filled up with 87 that might make just enough difference that you notice it. also might want to try a different brand of gas. (Dodge recommendation)
  6. FisheRam

FisheRam Member

I have been using 89 octane in my 2012 and the tick's very minor. But, I have never filled her with 87 so I have nothing to compare it to.
  7. Ram 08

Ram 08 Member

I have never used anything in my 2008 except 89 octane either, and my tick is very light. Can't really even hear it in the cab, only when standing outside the truck while its running.