1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hemi 2500..Secondary Batt

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DriverDown30, Dec 11, 2010.

1. DriverDown30

DriverDown30 Junior Member

I own a standard cab 2500 4x4 with a wide out Blizzard Plow and full box 1.5yrd salter. I have a high output alt and want to install a second battery. I dont need to know how to intstall it, I just need thoughts as to where?

2. DriverDown30

Sorry..its a 2009

3. occ3377

occ3377 Member

in the heavy duty that's still the 3rd gen body, right? if so i believe if you look on dodgetalk.com or something similar, they list the parts from a diesel that you need for it to work.

4. DriverDown30

Thanks man..my only concern was to try to make it a fairly cheap fix. My side kick has a 06 megacab cummins and the setup is entirely different. I just cant see me having any room without tearing EVERTHING apart.

5. DriverDown30

Its not necessary for me to do, I just would like to. I get a heavy draw when i run the plow (its a little heavy being an early model Blizzard wide out)

6. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

From what I have read, the diesel battery tray should bolt to the passenger side fender.

I am looking to do this upgrade as well.

7. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Question is why wouldnt you? Less stress on the alternator and existing battery.

8. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Is the salter gas or electric?? I had a gas salter that had a battery and tray on the side of it. I connected the battery from the salter to the truck using some heavy duty cable. positive to positve and ground to the frame. Simple and efective. Plus the salter battery is never going to go dead if the truck is running.

9. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I'd like to run a dual battery on my 03 Hemi but haven't had any luck finding others who have and what the setup looks like. Not much room under the hood........

10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

The diesels have a tray on the passenger side, but the HEMI intake covers it up. You'd have to do a custom intake (easily done with PVC and a universale cone filter) then put the tray on the passenger side.
    The only down side is a possible spike that could hurt the computer. There is a few guys on Dodgetalk.com that have done it but use an isolator or boat battery switch for when they are winching. I'm considering this as well but don't want to hurt the computer as I'd like to have both batterys running together all the time.

Hard to find the info on all of it though.

11. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

buy a diesel :)

12. plowguy43

Man there is an 04 Quadcab for sale with 60k on it basically identically equiped to my truck except silver and no plow for $19k in southern NH that I'm itching to pull the trigger on....

13. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

If you find something plowguy, let me know. I haven't had any luck and I'm not in to modifying my intake. Also not in to a diesel. I paid 9500 for my 03 Hemi, not 19K!

14. plowguy43

The only other place I've seen them mounted is in a toolbox or the bed inside a marine battery box. I don't really want to run such long cables but may have to, my k&n intake goes right where the second battery would mount.

I'd like a diesel but like you I own this truck for very little $$$