1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Helping others out?????

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by pongow26, Nov 26, 2010.

1. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

I just got a call from a guy who also plows locally. His transfer case went out and he is asking me to take about 4 of his resi's just until he gets his truck back up and running. I told him
    I will plow at his rate just to help the guy out - it's good business relations for my area- but he does not contract his work, it's all verbal with him. I'm curious if I should draw up a temporary contract for his customers to sign or should I just plow them and be done? It's cash only due at the time of service. I will only plow them a couple times but i don't want to be liable for slip an fall. Any thoughts?
  2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Since they guy you're helping out has no contracts with his customers I'd cover my butt and have everyone sign your contract. Seeing how these customers haven't dealt with a contract you may have to put on your sales hat and explain to them why they should sign it. Spin it off as protecting both party's and this is a sound business practice that you follow. Without doing this they may freak out and give you the deer in the headlights look.
    I have a few of my own accounts and also sub for someone else, all of my accounts sign off on my contract, in the case were I'm the sub and the contract is under the guy I'm subbing for I have a record of the specifics of the job that we agreed to and we both have a copy of that. It's just in an email but we both feel this is enough.
  3. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

Just think about it..............Bad things ALWAYS happen when your doing someone a favor.
  4. adan

adan Member

Only 95% of the time, heh.

I'm use to friendly canadians around here we would probally do it . if the guy ripped of us probally just force my way in and takeover those lots :)
  5. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

are slip n falls a problem on residential? They sue you for falling down on their own property?