1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

helping me get some contracts

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by hotshot4819, Oct 17, 2006.

1. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 Senior Member

just bought a 2004 dually deasil gmc of course. have a new 8.5 fisher v plow and planning on getting a sander for it. now my biggest thing is getting a couple commercial lots i have to long time friends that plow already but are more then willing to assist for some extra cash flow. no im trying to figure what the best way of getting commercial accounts, i know my time line is getting short if not already gone bye, should i try to contact commercial management company;s or go straight to the commercial building? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. also i am from New Hampshire right new Portsmouth. thanks ahead of time

2. jbone

jbone Senior Member

if you havent plowed before and you have friends that do, try getting them to let you work for them and get some experience. Thats what im doing anyhow. To get commercial contracts usually you have to have certain types of insurance coverage for commercial plowing which could end up cost lots of $$$

3. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

make sure you have insurance. thats the most important one...then pick the area you want to work out of. What I did was pull into all the lots that i was interested in and went inside and asked for the manager or the person in charge of the grounds. Asked them if they were looking and what they were looking for... Then give them an estimate.

hope it helps

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sub for your Friends for a season. Get a handle on what you can do and how long it takes. figure your operating costs, and ask lots of questions. Spend the winter studying the site. Learn the difference between seasonal, by the inch and per push. But your business plan together. Talk to your insurance agent, get a contract together, network with other contractors and build a buddies list. Target your area of operations and research your potential clients. Organized your material and service providers (plow and truck parts, sand or salt, loading facilities) then in July start contacting your potential customer list, and preparing for the winter.

Or just start knocking on doors and cold calling. Just wing it and hope you don't have to sell the equipment to pay the guys who bail you out when you find out you screwed up and can't do the volume you contracted for, in the time frame you promised, at the price you quoted, with the equipment you own.

My opinion.

5. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 Senior Member

Thanks for the replies, however i have plowed for the last 3 years for my last company i worked for i decided what i did and when so i have the basics down for time management.i have insurance so that is already takin care of. my only goal for this winter is to get a few meduim size contracts for decent money and just do them, i dont want to go all out crazy my first year, i want to have contracts for enuf money that i fell comfterable with and just make sure the quility is perfect on those sites so next year i will get them again and pick up more contracts.