1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Helpful tips

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SNOWDOZERS.IL, Feb 24, 2015.

1. SNOWDOZERS.IL

SNOWDOZERS.IL Junior Member

My second year in business, I started out doing subcontracts, I have a few of my own jobs now, I run 3 chevy 2500hd with westerns and tailgate western salt spreaders. I've under bidded my self on the salting application. it was my first job i got on my own and my first estimate. the lot is roughly 5 acres. i guess 250lb per acre. how much is salt going for per LB for salt and labor? I was told $.40 to $.60? Im wanting to see if my bid is under bidded. Also i assume pellet salt is cheaper than liquid, never used liquid deicing before how fast does it work?? thanks

2. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Most guys bid salt apps at roughly 3-4 times cost of product. So if you are buying salt at 100/ton then you should be billing it out at 300-400/ton. Also, industry standard is roughly 750lbs/acre. Some are closer to 500, some closer to 1000. That being said, obviously there are numerous factors that go into how much is needed to obtain desired results, but 250/acre is waaayyyy light and could be held against you in a S&F lawsuit. Just food for thought.

3. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't guess or assume on anything.....Educate yourself on costs...Costs of running your Business....Costs of products....Derek has givin you a good jumping off point for salt pounds per acre....

I cannot stress enough to educate yourself on the business side of this business....

4. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I agree with decon, it is so important to make sure you're making sure you have the right forMula to make money. as I have been working on taking over my dad's business, i realized I had to find a formula that woes for our costs and i have found it but it takes a lot of research to make sure

5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I agree, there are only a few situations were 250#/acre would be used. More would be needed if your burning off dustings or ice.

6. daveslawns

daveslawns Member
    from Niagara

Hey guys, looking at quoting on a few parking lots for next year. Just looking at how many tone I would use. I dont need a price, just your input for tonnage.
    One parking lot is wide open - 1.1 acre
    Other has parking spots n medians - 3.7acre

Obviously there will be different amount for day storms doing laneways, salting after an ice storm, 1/4" of snow etc...

This is per time billing but im curious how many tone you would quote for an all inclusive salting. We usually charge 30 applications for all inclusive

7. jerpa

jerpa Member

Seasonal salt usage? That's going to depend a lot on many factors other than size. What kind of sun do the lots get? Is melt and refreeze from pile placement going to be an issue? Are there windblocks or does the terrain prevent blowing and drifting? What are your average winter temps? These are all questions you need to answer and factor into your bid.

I can tell you that my average application rate is right around 600 lbs per acre but that varies a lot depending on time of year. I averaged 50 saltings per site so I would plan on 85 ton to give myself some cushion.

8. R1lukasz

R1lukasz Member
    from Chicago

SNOWDOZERS.IL why not bulk salt? I have a 5.5 acre lot myself , usually I fill my 2 yards salter per application , less more it all depends on many things so far on average 1.5 yard , now if you asking ton/acre I have no clue , most people here will say 750lb/acre