1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

helper springs

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jbone, Oct 18, 2006.

1. jbone

jbone Senior Member

I did a search and found an old post that didnt answer my question. I was wondering do helper springs increase the carrying capacity in the bed of the truck? The reason I ask is they say not to carrry more than the manufacturer rating but they make 2500lb and 3500lb helper springs for 1/2 tons. So im not sure what to think. I have a 1994 light duty 3/4 ton 2500, and was hoping to be able to beef up the rear suspension. I know its not a great idea but I was hoping to be able to support the weight of a poly v-box with the salt. Other wise I will just go with a tailgate spreader. Its just that I have an opportunity to use one at no cost to me to make some more money.
  2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

If it was me I would buy air bags, get a set rated at 5000 pounds, easy to install and they run around $250.00. I have a Snowex Vee Pro salt spreader which will hold 1.5 yards of salt, and with air bags I can keep the truck level.

Regards Mike
  3. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

With loads like that the suspension is only part of the issue. You're also dealing with fairly wimpy brakes not designed for that kind of weight. I'd go with the tailgate spreader.

4. overequip

overequip Junior Member

I put a set of Helwig Helper springs on my F150 and it helped out a lot with the load carrying. I have had 2400 lbs in the bed and it handled it, not great, but a lot better then the stock would have. I think I got them from summit racing, or Suspension Connection.

Boonbox is right about the brakes though. Be careful.
  5. soundzplus

soundzplus Junior Member

Not sure if this will help or not but i have a 98 1 ton Chevy dually with helper springs on it and have put 1 1/4 tons on the back with no problems.....I have a total of 14 springs on each side with the helpers being 4 of them.....Rides a little rough but i can haul virtually anything....Hope this somehow relates and helps you out....
  6. jbone

jbone Senior Member

thanks for the input. I probably will buy the helper springs but I doubt I will use a vbox spreader. I didnt even think of the weight over pwering the brakes, although those are going to be upgraded just not before winter. I do have needs for the springs otherwise anyhow. Thanks again!