1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Helper Springs '09 3500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gottaloveOT, Feb 3, 2009.

1. gottaloveOT

gottaloveOT Senior Member

We just got one of our new trucks, 2009 Chevy 3500 Regular Cab Long Box 4x4 6.0, and there are more on the way. We also have 8' Western Pro Plows on them. With the plows raised, there is about 3" of clearance between the frame mount and the ground.

I have talked to the guy who does the ordering and he agrees we need some sort of auxillary spring to help with this. I guess GM doesn't recommend cranking the torsion bars to help out with this so I am thinking air bags in the front.

We also have '05 Chevy 3500s, one with a spreader in the back and the situation is the same except I need helpers for the rear too.

I'm sure some of you have this same situation, what did you do to fix it. What company did you use for parts?

2. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

sounds like a couple turns on the t-bars and a set of timbrens up front will help you out

3. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

I would turn up the torsion bars and put timbrens on. As long as you have at least 3/4" gap between the upper control arm and frame stop your fine, when you start to have less thats when ride suffers. Mine came really low from the factory after 4 turns it still has 1.5" gap and to me rides better.

4. dmcenery

dmcenery Member

gottalove,

Try www.truckspring.com good cust. service and free shipping. They are located in Michigan and are a sponsor of this site. They sell Timbren, Firestone and Air Lift suspension products. Air lift has a new product called Air Cells for Chevrolets. Look similar to Timbrens but a little cheaper, not sure how well they work or what their capacity is might be worth asking.

Regards,
    Dan

5. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I may have to check those out myself

6. gottaloveOT

gottaloveOT Senior Member

Thanks guys. I was looking at the Air Lift Load lifter 5000 for the rear of the spreader trucks. The '05 seems to squat bad when loaded but I dont know yet about the '09 since I haven't gotten my hands on it. The fronts I was looking at these http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/1003.html. I know they are pricey but I think it would be better than haveing the vehicle aligned twice a year and possible tire wear issues that come with cranking the bars.

I saw the Air Cells listed on the suspensionconnection.com site but I wondered about their durability. http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/52212-chevy-2500hd.html

I mentioned the Timbrens to the guy too. He said he was going to call the plow dealer and see what they recommend.

7. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I turn up the tbars in winter and run timbrens

8. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

The tbars make a big difference with keeping the truck from bottoming out.