1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

helper add a leaf

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by John O., Sep 22, 2005.

1. John O.

John O. Member

how many of you guys put add a leaf on your plow trucks does it make it too stiff of a ride for plowing would helper leafs be better?

2. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

i do add leafs but it does comprimise the ride.If the springs are worn I replace rather than add to a sagging leafpack.

3. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I just put another leaf on my truck to level out the rake, it came to exactly 2", I have not noticed a night and day difference in ride quality yet, I believe the one I put also gives you like 600 pounds additional.

I really only did it to level out the way the truck came from the factory and to compliment the larger tires I put on, I did not have a problem last year lifting the plow

4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I put airbags under my truck. 5000 capacity now I will not have to worry about the bumper dragging. :waving:

Regards Mike

5. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

my springs are rated at 4800 pounds I believe stock, what are the springs rated on yours that with bags they are now only 5000?

6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

LINY Rob
    I don't know that answer for sure, but this I do know. If your ford is a 250 and you put 4800 of salt in the back, your bumper will be dragging. That 2500 H/D that I have is not that far off from a 3500H/D SRW as far as GVW. There is no helper or overload spring's on a 2500 H/D, thats why a added airbags.

Regards Mike

7. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I was talking about the front, I gotcha now

I was wondering what all this bumper dragging talk was about