1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by sparksrides, Feb 9, 2010.

1. sparksrides

sparksrides Senior Member

I have a 9 ft mm1 with the shep pump the plow seems to draw way to much the lights dim hard and the volt gage drops fast and hard I have 2 new batteries (diesel) a brand new alternator putting out 14.5 volts at idle (third one in 1.5 years) and good connections from batteries to solenoid and solenoid to plow. I broke the base lug ( don't ask how or when) so I figured that I would replace the motor and the suc. filter while changing the base lug since I had to drain the fluid anyway. the plow was neaver slow and is not now with the new motor for a heavy 9 ft, but its still drawing and now it makes a weird noise when going left to right but not when lifting..... do you think its the pump???

2. LON

LON Senior Member

pressure gauge will tell the story. What are you using for fluid?

3. sparksrides

fisher blue

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Did you go with a SAM motor or an OEM Fisher/Western?

Pressure test, and double check your connections. Have you tested to see what it is actually drawing?

If you know someone with a MM setup, it maybe a good idea to try it on there truck.

5. sparksrides

oem fisher double post, I even replaced the power connector with the anderson 175 quick connector, power is right from the batt to the solenoid, ground to the batt,replaced the light gage wire from the alt to the batt with heavy gage wire i will be ordering a 210 amp alt shortly, but will a weak pump cause it to draw?? also with the new motor it makes a funny noise almost like its low on fluid (its not) but it only makes the noise going L-R R-L when raised but not when lifting:confused: it lifts no problem all the way and is not slow going R-L L-R :dizzy:

6. sparksrides

how do you test amp draw???

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Did you change the bushing for the motor when you put the new one in. Sorry I don't know the exact name but its the bushing on the shaft.

8. sparksrides

I read something about a bushing but i did not see one or can't think where it would

9. plowguy43

Pm B&B and he'll help you figure it out.

10. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

ahhh, I'm pretty sure the bushing thing is only on the instacts.

11. plowguy43

Whoops....Then I'd say check the contacts!

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Get an AMP draw test done (or do it yourself if you have a DC AMP clamp that will read at least 200 AMP). This will tell you right away where you are as far as power draw. Cold hard numbers are important.

The squealing you're hearing during angle is caused by a sticking/stuck poppet valve. It's in the valve block and can be removed and inspected/cleaned. If the threaded plugs will allow you to. :realmad:

13. firemt036

firemt036 Junior Member

definatly try on someone's truck this will tell you if its electical or motor problems ...you can try the power right off the alt. if still slow prob. motor...I just switched on a gaser 350 from 95 amp alt to 130 amp 1 battery and I have all the power I need sounds like motor problem good luck.

14. sparksrides

its a new motor, the plow works fine and is not slow by any means it just draws a good bit of power maybe its normal for a plow this size idk I'm going to replace the pump and rebuild the angle cylinders once this record breaking winter comes to an end but I would buy any other plow then a FISHER:salute:

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You don't know if it's normal or not...that's what the AMP draw test will tell you and is the reason it's the first thing you do when you suspect it's drawing too much power. Just because the motor is new doesn't mean it's right. A draw test will tell you.

Just had one in the other day that the owner said worked fine but he suspected the truck battery was weak because after a hour of plowing the plow would draw hard on the electrics. Threw the AMP clamp on it and what do you know, it was pulling 170 amp during lift and 320 against the relief :eek:. Pump motor was only on it's third storm. Defective unit for sure.

So you're not happy with it?

16. sparksrides

that was a misprint on my part I WOULD NOT BUY ANY OTHER PLOW THEN A FISHER your right I don't know until i check it... can I get an amp clamp meter from home depot, are they the same that they sell in the electrical department and what rang do i look for? Thanks for all your help b&b and all the rest who chimed in

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic