1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by skinut2234, Feb 5, 2010.

1. skinut2234

skinut2234 Member
    from NJ

I have an Arctic steel plow- worked fine 2 weeks ago- went to put back on the truck- hooked it up- the motor makes noise but plow won't raise or angle. I disconnected chain and I can move the hydraulic arm up and down manually and there is enough oil. Is this something with the motor or pump?? The motor makes noise so I'm assuming there is power.... Should I be able to move the arm (where the chain goes) freely by hand with no weight on it? or is this an indication of something....

2. VPRacing

VPRacing Member

Has it been stored outsite in under 32° temps? The fluid could be froze up if any moisture got in there. Try warming it up, see if that helps.

Can you move the ram when the controls are not set to "down"?

3. skinut2234

skinut2234 Member
    from NJ

thanks- it has been outside- but it has not been that cold and when I looked the fluid was not frozen. I can move the ram now just by itself..... without the truck or plow even being on. If I go outside and put some force on it- I can move it up and down (no chain of course)
    How would I warm it?

4. VPRacing

VPRacing Member

Well you should be able to move it without it hooked up or pressure on the cylinder ram.

Check to see if any of the coils are magnetic when trying to raise/angle the plow with the controls. Sounds like the valves arent working correctly. As long as the fluid isnt froze up.

You can usually heat up the cylinder/distribution block with a turbo torch, like mapp gas.