1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Cat Man 77, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Cat Man 77

Cat Man 77 Member

Last night i was plowin and i just lost the power to my controller. i have no idea what did it, luckily the plow was in the air. Also none of the fuses were blown. it a brand new RT3, also the switch on the tower didn't work.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The switch on the tower wont work unless the controller has power and is in the float position so thats mostly a moot detail.

Since its a fresh install the first thing to check is the black/red 12V ignition feed wire. You'll have to locate it to see what they tapped it into but the wire will break out of the controller harness somewhere under the dash. Follow it and see what they connected it to. Could have just fallen out or have a poor connection.

3. Cat Man 77

Cat Man 77 Member

Also, everything was working but as i was pulling around to plow my next row and the plow wouldn't drop, or angle.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And certainly wouldn't if the controller was losing power.

Will the headlight still switch from the truck to plow when you flip the light switch? That gives an indication as to whether the entire plow harness/relay system lost power (or ground) on the harness wiring at the battery..or just the 12V ignition wire (the one I spoke of before) lost power.

5. Cat Man 77

Cat Man 77 Member

yea that was all fine, the switch was still workin. other than this i love this plow, by far the easiest to attach and detach. If u have any other ideas i would appreciate it B&B.

6. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Take it back to where you bought and got it installed and make them fix it! If you did it yourself..............well take it to a dealer!!

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you check that the black/red power wire has 12V on both sides of the inline fuse? Positive the 9 pin controller plug is fully seated?
    Does the controller pad light up?

8. steve_robert

steve_robert Junior Member

First off check to see if the orange light on the on/off switch is on.
    Second- if the light won't come on check your fuse tap and inline fuse.
    third- if still nothing replace the power switch in the controller

9. Cat Man 77

Cat Man 77 Member

all the fuses were good. but the service airbag light came on. so idk. and everything was plugged in fully.

10. steve_robert

steve_robert Junior Member

than its probably the off/on switch on the controller

11. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

service airbag light wtf? how is that related? maybe there is a grounding issue? what model/make truck? i only know sort of what fords have in certain spots to tell you here.

12. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Off on switch on the controller. Just about everyone I know with a BOSS plow has had the issue at one time or another. Happened to me the first time I went out plowing this year and I freaked out a little when I found fuses and connections were all good, then remembered this common problem and sure as shiat, thats what is was.

As far as switches at the plow they wont work unless the plow is in float and you can't get plow in float if controller is not working.

See if the lights on your controller are on, If not what you have to do is toggle the off on switch back and forth fast until it comes on.

I hope it's just that for ya!