1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by blueline38, Jan 14, 2009.

1. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

My plow was starting to act slow but after some use would speed up. At times it would do nothing so I would turn the controller off then on and it would work. This morning it would do nothing. I went to a dealer who said it was frozen. He pulled it in and a minute later came out and said that the motor was shot. I read other post on here of someone having the same problem but he jumped some terminals and the pump worked. The motor is $200.00 so I want to be sure that it is the motor. What terminals are you jumping to test the pump? I'm leaning toward believing the motor is shot due to the slowing down and speratic operation but I want to be sure. Any input would be great, especially if you agree that the motor is shot!
  2. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

Is everyone boycotting my post? So update, I put my plow in a heated garage for four hours today. I then went and bought a motor, a selonoid and fluid. I then hooked my plow up to my truck, to bleed the system, and it worked. It was slow on the raise but worked. After some movement it raised fine. So I changed all the fluid and plow angles fine but still raises a little slow the first time! I'm going to use it and see how it does. I will hold onto the motor for a bit but I would like to get my $200.00 back!
  3. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Why dont you list it under the correct forum. I would re-post under western plows
  4. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

I will do that however this is the equipment repair forum and this is a general problem. Not so much a western problem! Thanks
  5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

take a set of jumper cables from the battery and hook them to the plow motor. does it run? have someone push lift on the controller and hook up the cables. speed the same?

they probably jumped the big studs on the solenoid w/ jumper cable.
  6. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

I would have an amp test done on the motor. If that is acceptable then have your battery tested. If your not getting enough juice to it, it will definetely cause the plow to run slow. Don't be suprised either I just replaced mine today at 36,000 miles as lastnight my plow motor was making a grinding noise and running slow.
  7. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

I have a multi meter so what is the appropriate amperage the motor should be getting. Would a bad selenoid cause the problem as well. There are times the plow doesn't respond so I turn the control on and off and then it works. There is no really ryhme or reason it seems.