1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by JDWalkbehind, Nov 10, 2008.

1. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

Ok well i've got a 96 F250 w/ 460 motor. i wanted to upgrade my alternator to the 130amp, but it seems every place i call can't get the bracket an ford doesn't make it any more, does anyone know of a parts place that would have something like this? Or would dual batterys be the best bet? But the only problem i have with that is there's practically no room i don't know where to put it:dizzy: so any help would be great. also a pic of a dual batt set up if ya got it. Thanks

nick

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What about the junkyard?See if they have any.

3. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

I know that someone sells a replacement alternator upgrade that will bolt in place of your old one. You can use the same mount and same belt. I know this doesnt help a lot, but it might give u something to go on. As soon as I find it ill let u know the details.

:salute:

4. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Take a look at some old ambulances, they had the dual battery high amp alt you want. You might find one in a junk yard, but at least look on the net to get an idea of how and where to mount the stuff.

5. JDWalkbehind

Thanks. well i tried all the junkyards around here an nothing so far. Ford445 let me know what you find out. the only other option i came up with is there is a company by me that takes the "guts" out of the alternators and beefs them up. But i don't know if they can do my kind of alt. yet Anyone with an older ford that has dual batt.s a pic would be awesome. Any other ideas would be great. thanks

nick

6. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Are you anywhere near Sterling, IL? There is a good ambulance dealer there, Foster Coach.

7. JDWalkbehind

No not really. I'm in pekin, it's right by peoria. i'm not sure what i'm going to do yet, i think i'm going to try an look more into the company that rebuilds the alt and beef's it up. But i'm still open to suggestions, thanks

nick

8. toyman

toyman Senior Member

Do you have a pic of the engine. I have a 200 amp alternator that came off my 94 f250 with a 5.8L. My alternator has 3 holes and mounts permanently to a bracket. Runs off a serpentine belt.

Let me know, I can't use it any longer (sold the old truck)

Toyman

9. JDWalkbehind

ok here's the pic. lemme know what you think. the first one you can see where it bolts to the bracket and the second pic you can see how the bracket's attatched

truck 014.jpg

truck 016.jpg

10. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Allright JD, I think I have found something for you.

Go to paperformance.com

I don't know anything about this company or their products, ive just seen their advertisements.

I hope this helps.

:salute:

11. JDWalkbehind

Ford445 thanks alot i'm lookin in to that sight now. toyman let me know what you think about the alt. thanks to everyone that responded

nick

12. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

you can buy a univeral alt. bracket i think they sell them at pep boys. as long as the lower lines up you could use a spacer and longer bolt to fab an upper bracket.

JR

13. Truck207

Truck207 Member
    from Maine

Don't mean to change the subject but JDWalkbehind, what do you get for MPG with your 460 enigne? Also, have you had any problems with the truck? I am looking at buying a 97 F350 with the 460 engine and was just curious.

14. JDWalkbehind

i can get around 10 without towing a trailer. i love my truck it'll push or pull about anything. i've replaced ball joints an brake lines that's about it. if your looking check the oil pan and sometimes the dipstick will rot out. mine rusted out the support where it bolts onto the manifold i think? but as far as where it goes into the block mines fine. I love my truck/engine/axle combo it works great for what i do. hope that helps. any other questions let me know.

nick

15. Truck207

Truck207 Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the info. I haven't gone to look at the truck personally just because I live 2 hours away from it. The truck seems to be in good shape but I am just worried about the MPG, if it is worth spending quite a bit of money on gas. Tell me what you think about the truck. 1997 F350 91,000 miles, 4x4, auto with a fisher minute mount plow. In September the front gas tank was replaced and the rear was disconnected so it would only use one tank, the starter, fuel filter, brake lines, and the battery were also replaced. From the pics I have seen there doesn't seem to be any rust.

16. JDWalkbehind

ok your not going to get good mpg on any truck unless it's like a ranger or something. if all your doing is a few plow accounts and that's all your going to use it for, no trailer pulling or anything don't get it i guess. there was a thread on here you could search for about v10's an alot of people were talking about how the smaller engines like the 5.4 don't get that great of mpg anyway, not sure if it's true. but when you put a load on it the mpg is going to drop, where with a bigger motor your going to get some what constant results. that's my take on the thread i could be wrong about the 5.4's i'm not an expert. but i always see people talking about how they miss their 96-97 250/350 and how tough they were. i personlly love my truck it does everything i want it to. if it's a good looking/running truck i would buy it, but i dont know anything about this truck with no pic's. what ever really works for you. like i said i'm not an expert that's just my opinion. best of luck

nick

17. Truck207

Truck207 Member
    from Maine

Ok, thanks! I appreciate you answering my questions. I have 2 more quick questions. How many miles does your 96 F250 have on it? Have you had any trans problems?

18. krazeehorse

krazeehorse Member

JD, I used welding cable (more strands, better conductivity) and ran a positive cable to the bed of my truck and hooked a short ground cable to the frame and ran my second battery in the front of the bed.

19. JDWalkbehind

that's pretty smart. i have a tool box in the back and kinda thought of putting one in there i'm still not sure what i'm going to do though. i'm kinda leaning toward doing that though. thanks Krazeehorse.

truck207- my truck has off top of my head 168xxx. lot of highway miles it used to be my uncle's truck and i'm the third owner so i know my truck's been treated good. really no problems with my trans. one time it stated to shift ruff an i took it in and they said it was just some kind of code that got tripped. all i had to do was dissconnect the batt. an i was good to go. really no major problems with my truck. i love the older boby style and my engine/axle combo works great for what i do. Good luck let me know if you get it. I'd kinda like to see it. thanks

nick

20. Truck207

Truck207 Member
    from Maine

OK. Thanks for all the info and help! I think I am going to go look at it. I will let you know if I do get it.