1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by packey, Oct 15, 2007.

1. packey

packey Member

I have been inthe lawn business for several years. Last year i moved to Northwest Colorado. I am entertaining the Idea of clearing sidewalks this winter. I am in the process of purchaseing a snowblower. I am tring to figure out priceing for work on sidewalks. Do you charge by the hour or by the job? How much snow needs to be on a residential sidewalk before you go out and clear it. I ahve already talked to my insurance person about insureance and that will be taken care of but do I need any thing else. I will not be plowing this year because I don't own a 4x4 yet but next year I hope to be able to set up to do plowing. How do you advertise for snow removal? Are flyers best or would money be better spent putting an add in the paper? Radio is tomuch at this time. I am looking for all the information I can recieve. I know green stuff but white is all new to me.
    Thanks.

Oh yeah my location is Craig Colorado this is 50 miles west of steamboat springs It can get really nast here ha ha

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If you've got insurance taken care of, then I'd say you just need a snowblower. Can't help much with specifics in pricing (our areas are kind of far apart), but WHEN to snowblow is between you and the person you'll be contracting with. Some will have a "no tolerance" attitude to snows (usually upscale apartment/condos). Others don't care if there is two feet built up (the "other side" of town). My advise would be not to agree to letting more than 4-5" build up (less would be better). Ideal would be blowing anything. You may want to look into using a treated salt product and pretreat for snowfall amounts of an inch or so. Make sure it's built into your contract/agreement that they are paying for keeping the sidewalk free of snow and ice; not especially shoveling/snowblowing. Then your price stucture would be charging by the inch for anything that falls. Be sure to keep good records with some site such as NOAA for backup.

For advertising; figure out your target area and concentrate on advertising that will accomplish your goals. No use using a medium (newspaper) that will essentially cover way more area than you are willing to cover (or you'll both waste money and get calls from areas you've never heard of), Do you have a local convenience store you could tack a notice up at? How about a local shopper? Flyers could be sent and target specific blocks or zip codes. Generally, word of mouth is the best, so just let everybody know what you're doing. Get some business cards made up - they don't have to be fancy or even in color.

Get started this year and you'll figure out as you go what works best.