1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by z71plowguy, Oct 2, 2007.

1. z71plowguy

z71plowguy Senior Member

im 16 andim a jounior in high school i start driving in november and i have a guy willing to pay $50 dollors an hour should i do it
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

to do or not to do

question , do what with what,and who pays for repair's and insurance
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Willing to pay you $50/hr for what?
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

At 16 you have your whole life ahead of you to work. School is the most important thing right now. I would not let my son plow snow all night and then go to school. At your age $50/hr sounds like a massive amount of money but there should be more important things then money at this point in your life.

PS, I saw the picture of your truck in the other thread!
  5. jbone

jbone Senior Member

Do they teach English in High School???:rolleyes:

Thats more than I get paid, and thats with my own equipment. I say do it.
  6. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

What about curphew laws, labor laws, and most important what do your parents think?
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

So your dad is going to pay you $50 an hr to plow the drive?

That should take all of 15min max.

I think your bill for commercial liability insurance will take
    that $50 an hr and then some to insure a 16yr old.

Plus like what Young pup posted.

The labor laws are against you also.

My advice is get some experience plowing your drive and stay in school.
    The snow will still fall when you are a little older.
  8. z71plowguy

z71plowguy Senior Member

i would be plowing til 10:00 at night and i get out of school at 2:00 in the after noon so i think im going to do it i have been plowing since i was 12 or 13 i plowed my drive way my road and a car lot at 13 lol so it would be good money that i want for my truck i was jus askin if that was a good pay per hour
  9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Some times it snows at night. most plowing happens between the hours of 2am to 10am

Are you going to be his employee?
    Or a sub-contractor?

Do you have your own business?

Who is going to pay INS?
    Your present insurance does not cover you when you are plowing.
    You will need commercial liability Insurance.

What are your operating costs?

For $50 bucks you could be screwing up your life,
    What if you get sued or hit something?
    I do not care if you have gotten away with it since you were 12 or 13 plowing the street is illegal let alone you leaving your property to plow a lot.:dizzy:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  10. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

whatever you do definately dont plow without comercial liability insurance. you could get sued and work the next 20 years of your life just to pay off the debt. i think plowing is a great business to get into just make sure you start out right.
  11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree. The money seems great but school will suffer. Enjoy your time, before you work full time.
  12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

To answer your question that would be good pay. You don't have to work all night and maybe school won't suffer.
    do yourself a favor and don't plow past 10, turn your phone off because they are going to call when they are stuck.

In 1999 I had a 16 year old plowing with us. Brand new truck, plow and they didn't need the money. By the end of the winter I wasn't sure if his dad wanted to kill me or him more. Never Again.
  13. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i think it's good that you are young and so willing to work. reminds me of myself when i was your age... plow all night and sleep in class i wish all kids were like you!
  14. z71plowguy

z71plowguy Senior Member

thanx guys i am going to do it but i told him i want 65 an hour and i cant do it after 10 he said ok and i will be doing a shopping plaza with 3 other guys and a loader so it will be easy and he has a guy that will come out at 10 and plow for me so it sound good and i dint know about the whole sub contractor thing because he is going to pul magnectic signs that have his name but the truck has full coverage in my name so i dont know
  15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

It sounds like you will be his employee.
    You will nee to give him the info for your w2. tax lol
    do not except:nono: a 1099:nono:

You will need prof that you are/were his employee and that his INSURANCE (commercial liability ins is covering a 16yr old.)
    OR you and him could end up in court.:gunsfiring:

Your present ins no matter if you have "full-coverage" you do not have commercial vehicle liability Insurance.( Naming "snow plowing")
    When you plow for $$$ you are a commercial vehicle;)

Call your INS agent today and tell him what you are doing if nothing else......
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  16. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If he puts his signs on your truck, your insurance is no longer in effect - it doesn't matter if it's full coverage or what. If you plow for compensation, your private vehicle insurance is no longer in effect, either.

There's simply something wrong here: A 16 year old is going to plow for a commercial outfit, plowing a shopping mall. He is naming hours he will operate and conditions. He is naming his own price, which is really fairly high - especially for someone who is just starting to DRIVE and with relatively little experience in the type of plowing he'll be doing. The contractor agrees to all his terms.

Seriously, z71plowguy, I wouldn't hire you to plow anything, let alone a shopping mall. That's not a dig at you. But just from what you've told us, I wouldn't take the risk - even if you did show me an insurance certificate for plowing snow - and you'd need to have a commercial policy, to boot.
  17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I agree with you......but...lol

I do not think him(employer's) insurance is going to cover an underage driver?

Sinage or not.
  18. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i agree mick. it dont add up. i dont think they could insure him. i dont think they would pick him with all the guys out there looking for work that can plow all night. unless they figure they can sucker him and leave him out to dry if anything goes wrong. :dizzy: doesnt make sense.
    unless they think hes eighteen and self insured.....
  19. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

dude i was in your same pos. if you wanna do it do it...i would go out plow all night then go to school...i know they say dont do it school will suffer...as long as you have a good head and you know enoguh is enough or you know that school comes first youll be in good shape...seams like your money hungery and thats a good start...i started at 15 on a lot and im 21 and it gets harder the older you get...make all the money you can while your still young my man...im young and there are nights i dont want to go plow...but at 16 i was up as soon as that phone rang....

things to do...
    -school comes 1st
    -make sure all your school work is done
    -dont sleep in class....teachers dont like to hear you were out all night plowing
    -dont go to school late or leave early to plow
    -make that cash

i know a lot of you guys dont like my idea...but hes young we were all young once and he seems like his mind is already made up...

but kid do it right insurance the whole 9 please