1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by New_to_plowing, Dec 27, 2001.

1. New_to_plowing

New_to_plowing Junior Member

I have a 1995 F250 with a 8'2" Boss "V" plow. (brand new) Everything has worked great until today. After plowing and salting, I was driving home and realized that my turn signal wasn't flashing, and the brake lights aren't working. I turned my headlights off, and all turn signals and brakes work fine. Also, my plow won't go up or move. When the truck is off, and I push my brake pedal, the "chime" (you hear when you forget to turn your lights off) "chimes even thought the headlights are off. Is this a relay? Anybody have any ideas? I need to get back out tonight, or I'm in you know what!

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

OK, first the disclaimer: I don't have any experience with Ford or Boss, so anything I post here falls into the category of "speculation", not "experience".

With that out of the way, 3 things that come to mind are a relay as you mention, a ground problem (often when there's a problem with the ground side of the circuit things act strange) or wires that have chafed and are touching.

How is the plow/controls fused? I'm wondering if the plow not working is a direct result of whatever lighting problems you're having, or a separate issue.

Sorry I can't offer any more specific advice :( but at least there are a couple other areas you can check out in addition to the relay (s)

3. Moony

Moony Banned

Who wired it Ray Charles?????

4. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

kinda sounds like a bad battery. When they get old and tired they start sending mixed messages to the cpu's. Pay a local gas station to put a load test on it.

5. New_to_plowing

hmmm?

Well, it was a bad relay that was making the plow not work, and I've got that fixed now. The lights are still acting up. The plow was installed by the Boss dealer, they are pretty well known for doing good work. (not to say people don't make mistakes) I'm not real familiar with the plow wiring, but I'm doing some reading to try and learn!

I was outside messing around with the truck, and noticed that when the truck is off, and even no key in the ignition, when you push the brake....the parking lights come on! (lol) the battery is a brand new sears "range handler". Supposedly it's a pretty good battery. (nobody had Optimas in stock) I plan on going to a dual battery setup this weekend. I'm wondering if maybe I have a bad headlight switch. The plow and lights were all working great, prior to today, and the problem is still there with the plow disconnected. This might turn into a wire chasing nightmare!!!

6. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

I'd have to agree with Rob, it sounds like a bad ground (ie loose connection or broken wire). Also check all grounding wires/bolts for corrosion on the entire circuit that is having the problem. This is a common problem on trucks used for salting.

7. New_to_plowing

??????

Thanks for the replies! Can ya tell me what grounds to check....the main ground wire seems to be in good shape, and the "main" harness from the plow seems ok.....I know there's a ton of grounds, but which ones would seem most logical to start with.....headlight switch....or?????

8. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

You might be better off taking it to your local repair shop to look at but if you have extra time on your hands and a test light you should be able to check the lighting system. Follow the wiring harness and look for ground wire (wire bolted to body or frame) these are your grounds. Using your test light clip one end of test light the ground stud and the other to a hot wire (one that has positive power. If the test light lights its a good ground and go to the next one. It might take some time but make sure you check all of them starting from the rear to the front. You can also use a jumper wire that has a good clean ground and attach that to the stud. If the light work correctly you found your problem. Clean the connectors and you a anti-corrosion grease. Also look at any wires that have been spliced or tapped into. Copper will turn green as it starts to corrode. Hope this helps and happy hunting.

9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I had an older Ford which was acting about the same and I found that all the rear lights were grounded at one point on the rear crossmember. Once I took it off and cleaned it, my problems disappeared. I can't say that they are still set up this way, but it would be a good place to start. A bad ground will cause very strange things to happen.

Your headlight switch has nothing to do with your signals, it only provides power to the taillights.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2001
  10. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

If you have a trailer light connector on the rear bumper take a look to see if it is smashed or shorting out. That was the cause of a simular problem I had last season. I guess I backed into a snowbank a bit too hard.

Razor

11. BATTLIN_BLAZES

BATTLIN_BLAZES Member

take it back to the guys who installed it they should have no problem fixing it if its brand new.....

12. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Just from our own experience.The quick connect plugs seem to corrode up,make sure you keep them sprayed up with WD-40 or electrical spray.
    Good heads up about looking at the trailer plug!
    Good Luck

13. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

try unpluging the headlight & turn signal wires on the boss plow harness... Should be the behind the front turn signal lenses and behind the headlights. (you will have to reconect the factory headlight plugs) try everything again.
    This will tell you if it is in the truck harness or the plow harness.... that will nerrow down your search and should only take a few miniuites.

14. sledhead

sledhead Member

HELP!!!!!!!

My reply is the same as Razor's.
    I would guess that the trailer harness is the culprit since the brake lights are opprating the parking lamps.
    Sounds like a snowbank stuffed the "box" back and it crunched the harness.
    Good luck.

Sledhead

15. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

Good suggestions offered so far. One other thing to consider is the headlight switch itself. I've seen them short out internally and cause all kinds of goofy problems.