1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SnowPro93, Feb 5, 2007.

1. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

> I crashed my Sierra into a guard rail on a road, neglected by the town, yesterday. I need to replace the front bumper, driver's fender and the grille shell. I was wondering if anyone knew how to go about swapping out the fender. I want to know how many and where the bolts are that bolt it into the cab. Me and a buddy of mine can change all the parts as long as the fender is only bolted into place and i know they probably have some kind of sealant application also. I've changed out bumper, grille's, ect. Just looking for some insight into the fender situation...as long as it's not to difficult, I don't mind driving around with a primed fender till summer because i planned on getting it painted anyways. Hopefully this way I can save some cash and a body man won't be payup . Thanks a whole lot guys.

2. payton

payton Senior Member

i dont know 100% on bolt location..

but open your door there should be 4 or so there.. your gonna need a long extension.. to reach.
    theres gonna be half a dozen or so on the top under the hood. and there should be a few more up front around headlights grill and bumper..

dont forget to make sure the inner fender and outter fender is seperated..

other then that .. have fun lining up the gaps..

3. Rickco

Rickco Member

Don't run around with only primer! It absorbs water and salt and will not last. put at least one coat of paint on it.

4. fast68

fast68 Junior Member

need ot know what year,

as 73-80 are different than 81-up, alot different in fact

whole different style of cowl and hood and dog house

if its an 81-up then you have a few more parts to remove to do this but at least you will be able to leave the hood on the truck

-you will unbolt the hood spring "hinge" deal at the fender end but not unbolt the hood from the main "hinge" that goes into the cowl/firewall area,

- remove the entire cowl panel cover and wiper arms use a long prybar and a shop rag under it to pry them off the shafts,
    one bolt on each end of the cowl panel in the door jam area, open the doors to get to these bolt heads,
    there are phillips head screws along the entire front edge of the panel across the truck, plastic clips hold the back edge of thepanel to the cab under the windshield, just yank thepanel forward and up with booth doors open though

remove the bumper, and youll see all the bolts, except for the one up under the rear bottom end of the fender just in front of the front end of the rocker panel, on the back/inside of the fender, theres a tab attached to the front cab corner under there with a bolt through it remove that, and the one under the cowl panel area an then unbolt the big 5/8" head bolt in the wheel tub into the front cab wall that holds the inner front tub in place, then up under the rad support theres three more bolts that hold the inner tub to the rad support, then in the front corner of the outer fender there 4 or 5 more bolts that bolt it to the rad support end

good luck

73-80 are a bit simpler than this, and the 67-72 are a combination of 73-80 and 81-up since they had the 81-up removable cowl panel, but 73-80 style hinges

good luck

5. fast68

fast68 Junior Member

i guess you have a 93 so never mind

lol