1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rugbyjjb, Nov 9, 2006.

1. rugbyjjb

rugbyjjb Junior Member

I am new to this industry, just starting to plow this winter. However i am stuck in a delima. I currently have a 2000 ford f150 supercab xlt with 150 k on . I just replaced the tranny and put in a brand new ford factory trans. My truck has the tow package so it is currently equipt with a hd altinator and a tranny cooler. I was looking at newer fisher plows for this truck about 7 1/2 footers. and looking to put air bags in the front to help counter the extra weight. This truck is my main vehicle thow and i dont want to ruin it. I was looking to just do residential work this winter about 25-40 driveways. My delema is that i also can get my hands on a 89 jeep cherokee. However plows and frames are hard to find for this one. I got a quote of 1700 installed from one person; the only one who seemed to have a conventional plow to fit this vehicle. the vehicle also has only 88 k on it. then i could seel my f150 and free up some money. Anyways to make a long story short. I want oppinions for the experts! what should i do? what do you recommend?

On another note is 40$ a storm including 2 passes for local customers a good price? and if i included walkways at no cost to me would that be worth it?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

25 to 40 drives for an 1/2 ton with 150k....

My Advice, sell the ford f150 supercab xlt with 150 k on it and get a 3/4 ton.
    With at least an 8ft blade.

ok.o.k. You 1/2 ton owners settle down now... lol:waving:

Do you have 25 to 40 customers?
    How long have you been plowing?

"On another note is 40$ a storm including 2 passes"rugbyjjb

What are you calling (2passes)? A push? or do you only go up the drive 2 times.

A push is considered clearing the lot or drive of snow once.
    A pass is going up or across a lot or drive once.

3. rugbyjjb

rugbyjjb Junior Member

help...contd...

sorry, like i said i am new to this. no by pass i ment clearing the drive way totally once. is that reasonable? and also what are your thoughts on the jeep? would that be suficient for this winter and next i could upgrade?

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

$40 is resonable.
    My bottom price is $35 for a small drive and the price goes up from there.
    (I do not do a lot of res mostly com)

I'm not real excited about either vehicle. lol
    Lets see what some others have to say about it.
    Both can plow snow.
    The ford sounds like a vehicle you need to have for transportation. So, maybe plow with the jeep for one season then keep it as a back up plow and up grade next year?

As I have no idea what your money situation is makes it hard to recommend something.....You sound like you really want to jump right in to it with 40 drives your first year...