1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by thomas, Sep 20, 2006.

1. thomas

thomas Junior Member
    from maine

I will be plowing some driveways this year for my rental properties. I have a 06' GMC 2500 HD, 4X4, Ext Cab....What size plow/brand do you recommend? I am mechanically disabled. I would like the easiest set-up/hook-up possible.

New or Used?

Thanks a lot.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Probably an 8'6" to a 9' but really depends on the weight of the plow so check with the dealer. In your situation, I'd definately recommend new. Too much can be wrong with used plows, plus you really need to know what you're doing when you purchase used. For instance, they usually come minus the truck mounting and wiring - which can cost the unwary hundreds of dollars. Then, there can be things like bad pumps, leaking seals and blown hydraulic lines.

There are several forums and links for advertisers on this site for plow brands, go there and ask questions.

I stay away from recommending brands because they all have their good points. Just realize that with a new plow, you will definately "get what you pay for", the more you pay, the heavier and stronger plow you'll get. You'll also pay for features like V-plow or wings. If you have the option, go around to several dealers and ask to see each brand. They may be able to give you a demonstration - but not all dealers can do this. Don't dismiss one just because of this - go to that brand's web site. They'll usually have something on there so you can see it in action. Study them all - make a decision - then don't look back and say "well, I should have ...". You'll always have somebody tell you where you could have gotten a better deal or bought a better plow, etc. That always seems to happen AFTER you buy yours.
  3. thomas

thomas Junior Member
    from maine

To MIck

Thank you for you response. I appreciate the help.

JRKRACE Senior Member

I think it depends on what kind of rental properties. If it's commercial, then you could go with an 8.5 or larger. If it's houses, I would go no bigger than an eight footer. I have a 7.5 and I kind of regret it and I have a mix of both.
  5. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Basically all manufactures are easy on/off anymore. Do some research, find dealers in your area and you'll begin to like certain manufactures more than others. Use the application guides on manufactures website to see what plows will fit on your truck.
  6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

8ft fisher X-blade or XtremeV
  7. snow plow man57

snow plow man57 Member

why such a expensive blade? get a hd or rd probably not rd because it is 7'6" instead of 8' i would not get a X-blad because theres no need for a plow thats for heavy commercial use.
  8. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Buy what you want. If you buy new, than you will probably be ok. Don't let anyone talk you into a huge , expensive , commercial plow, if that isn't what you need. If all you are plowing is your rentals, and not the super Walmart, then why buy the biggest, most expensive? Get what you need to do the job you need to do. Do your homework, check them out online.There are links on this site.
  9. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

If you buy a new plow or a used plow, who will give you service and the the best price.

Yes, you need to choose the best plow for your application, but do not forget service.

I am a newbie as far as the experience of some of the others on this site. But when I bought my first plow, that was what impressed me the most. They offered good service.