1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ketchup724, Oct 18, 2005.

1. ketchup724

ketchup724 Junior Member

How do I get started in the snow plow business. I need to know everything from A-Z. Thanks

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to Plowsite!!!
    Thats a loaded question if I have ever seen one:D

You will have to be slightly more specific about questions that you actually want us to answer.

What are your goals, do you know? Commerical, Residential, a little bit of both??? Tell us a little more about yourself, are you in similiar field such as landscaping or do you have a "normal job"? Do you want to eventually have your own business or work as a subcontractor for someone? Or maybe you just have a large driveway that your sick of snowblowing or paying someone else to do, we dont know please tell us more as we all want to help!!!

When I first developed an interest in plowing (i was about 12 years old). I picked everyones brain that I knew that plowed. My father had reluctently done it before at our familys vacation home but was not too enthuaistic about it. I rode with my friends father alot who is 55 years old and has been plowing since he was 15. He is a great plower and I learned alot from him as far as what to do and what not to do. I would suggest finding someone you know (there has got to be someone) and talking to them as much as possible until you annoy them. Then ask if you can ride along a few times, offer to shovel or something. Then if your really lucky, he may let you plow your own driveway or go to an open parking lot for a few pushes. Thats how you would get down the physical aspect of plowing which is by far the easiest thing of all. Plowing is not hard and most people get used to operation the truck and plow quickly. Its easy to plow but somewhat harder to do a "good job" that takes a little aquired skill. A good guide to some basic plowing practices can be found here: http://www.bossplow.com/index.html click on "plowing tips" at the top of the page.

Start by reading as much as you can on this site, also look at the websites of some the plow manufacturers, you will find links at the top of this page. Search the web for other snowplow related info, there are even more resources out there. Beyond that there are also books that have been written that would help you learn everything from A-Z.

Make use of the search button here to find out about specific topics BUT Dont Hesitate to ask if you want more info or more specific info.

Let us know what your goals are as far as ideas for a business then you can start to decide if its feasable and what you will need to do to move foward.

Welcome to the site and have a good night:waving:

3. ketchup724

ketchup724 Junior Member

Help 1

Thanks for the reply. Well I started taking out garbage for neighbors when I was about 6. Then years later I move to kalamazoo. I raked leaves, shoveled, used a snowblower(once) and salt every year with a few little guys around the neighborhood that wanted to make some money with me. On monday im going to grand rapids to take my practical exam for barbering so I can become licensed.

For the past 2or3yrs I wanted to get a truck to plow snow to make some cash but I never had the money. But since I have some money now Im ready to go for it. I don't have a truck so Im gonna need some help from you guys on that. I don't have a plow so im gonna need help on that to. Im kinda shakey on the business aspect of it but I will need help on that as well. Extra extra details on the business part please. Thanks to anyone that replies.:eek: :help:

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Basically the same response as this guy: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=27376

But, let's look at first things first. Have you figured your start-costs?

Truck - Used will be at least $10,000 for a half decent 4wd.
    Plow - No time to look for a used one that's any good - so $4,000
    Truck Insurance and registration - depends on your state - allow $1,000
    General Liability Insurance - depends greatly on you and your area - about $1,500
    Advertising - $100

Have you got $16,600 needing a home? That's before you even make the first push. Assuming an average $35 per driveway and five storms/yr, you will need 95 driveways before you break even the first winter. That not counting any repairs, fuel, tows or any other expenses.

You need to be in this for the long haul to make any money.

6. Let us know

Well, Let us know what kind of truck you looking for and how much you are looking to spend. Many of us guys know of trucks that are for sale, but not listed. i know of three

02 chevy 2500hd 4x4
    03 ford f350 5.4 4x4 w/ front and rear plows
    mid 90's f 250 with big block

7. ketchup724

ketchup724 Junior Member

Help2

Hey firstclasslawn I don't know alot about trucks. If you give me some prices on those trucks I can see what I can do. How do I get licensed to use a plow or do I need one? Do all of my drivers need insuranse? How could I get a 4wheeler legal on the street? Would my accounts pay by the day, week, or month? Is there liability insurance for plow drivers. Thanks :nod:

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

O.K. first SNOW is the cold white stuff on the ground:waving:
    Hope this helps? lol

No, relay, welcome to plow site, Mick & cja1987 will point your plow in the right direction.

9. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

ketchup724,

Have you thought of working for somebody else for a couple of winters??? You sound pretty green and getting work driving a truck for someone who can teach you first hand would be a great asset. Getting into snowplowing is an expensive venture as others have pointed out. Who know you may not even like it and it would be a shame to see you spend all that money only to have to unload it for a huge loss.

If you work for someone else you basically have no up front costs...you can learn how to plow and you can make some money...

Just some thoughts...

10. LyndaL

LyndaL Junior Member
    from eastern

Ford F150 Xlt 4x4

HI

I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion on the best plow for a FORD F150 XLT 4X4. I tried to go on Boss Snow plows web site to select the plow option, but I recieved a response stating no application is suggested. I am wondering if that means I bought the wrong vehicle for snow plowing.

Please let me know what you think
    Thank you
    Lynda

11. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

What year F150... Extended cab??? Long/Short bed?? Engine Size??? Look on the door sticker for the front axle rating... this will be the best information to use when selecting a plow...

Also what type of plowing to you intend to do... An F150 is not the best for plowing commercial lots.. to much wear and tear on the truck...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2005