1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BushHogBoy, Aug 18, 2005.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

It wont post correctly....

I'm trying to post the following message in commercial snow removal forum with the subject being "plow on this?":

What do ya'll think about puttin a plow on this? How big of a plow can it push with at least 3 ton in the bed? Its a 19,500 GVW and weighs 8850 empty no plow or driver.
    12' plow?
    I may be getting a Snoway lexan w/down pressure and remote control and a spare moldboard was thinking of making a 12' or so out of both of them for it..... any thoughts there?
    a friend is getting a contract where he could sub me on at full time during storms it would stay at that one location. (as well as the '76 4x4)....

opinions and pics of 2 tons with plows appreciated!

Its a 66 Chevy L60 with a 292 straight six 4.8 liter 4 spd with 2 spd axle.

everytime i click submit, it acts like its working then goes to a totally blank page and stops.... really ticking me off.....
    If anyone can help i'd appreciate it.....
  2. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Thanks for moving this, moderator....

I don't even know if this reply will show up......

anyway i'm looking for info or advice on puting a 12' plow on a 2 ton dump.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

My thoughts are buy a plow sized for it instead of modifying a perfectly good Snowway.

How big pile it will push are all dependant on the tires on it, chains or no, gear your in, type of snow, up hill/downhill, road/municipal or parking lot, weight for ballast and location of it, driver experiance, etc.

Too many variables. With reasonable ballast- (3 tons could be a spreader and load- but the load will be decreasing as it's used.... cement weights would be better for consistancy)- GOOD tires, chains just incase, and a compatant driver it could work out well in the right situations. You're not going to move 14" of normal snow with it any easier than a 3/4 4x4 pickup.

I wouldn;t recomend trying to modify the sno-way. get a large enough plow (10' I think is suffecient- too big is a bad thing in a 2wd but it depends on what it will be plowing) for it instead. Plenty of them used around.

um, you know that is a 5 ton, not a 2 ton truck- right?
  4. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Everyone calls them a 2-ton.. Its like a 3/4 ton pickup will sure as heck hold a whole lot more than 1500 lbs.... at least all of mine have.. once had 4.5 tons of pea gravel in the bed of my F350 dually flatbed... tipped the scales at around 16,800 lbs loaded (way overloaded but could of had 3 tons comfortably).

I'm kinda of changing my mind about putting a plow on it for a few reasons...
    1) Am hesitant to trade what I would have to get rid of in order to get that plow.
    2) That is a lot of truck for that plow...
    3) The job, although full time and on the same lot, I personally don't think pays enough
    4) The insurance needed for that would be pretty substantial which hurts when factored in with reason #3...

If a regular 7.5' plow will work with wings why won't it work with extensions made of another moldboard? I realize its a heavier load but I see guys with wings all the time. Plus we don't really get huge snows here. Seems with soem commons sense driving it, a 10' wide plow with a 7.5' plowframe setup would be OK... If something breaks we'll beef it up... It would be used on a LARGE parking lot and would stay on-site. Road width is not an issue. It can plow with the storm as it doesn't have travel time between jobs and time at other jobs to allow major accumulations. Its central Indiana, we don't get that much snow to start with. If we get more than 4" its a big thing here...

Probably would not run tire chains. a 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup would be used to open up the lot and get things laid out and get in tight spots, then the dump would do the major areas so it shouldn't get stuck unless you buried it in a bank... The rear tires shouldn't get into an uncleared area really.....

Not to be arguementive just saying maybe it could work?
    I'd still like to have the Snoways for my 4x4 pickup as an upgrade from the Meyer 7.5 steel blade and E47 pump. I could use the 6.5 moldboard to make a pull plow for driveways and the front plow would have down pressure which is nice in driveway areas too... But I cringe at the thought of trading the item I'd have to part with to get them... Not that I use it much but it means a little bit to me...

Thanks for lettin me ramble and for any input.
  5. Hoveys Lawn Car

Hoveys Lawn Car Junior Member

I say go for it man!
  6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

You should'nt have any problems, sounds like a hell of a truck.

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :waving:
  8. battags

battags Member

Frankenmeyer is at it again....