1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jrm123180, Nov 15, 2004.

1. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

Ok, here goes it: 79 Chevy Truck K10 350sb. I just rebuilt the engine and it now only has 1k on it. It's been running great up until yesterday. I even plowed with it on Saturday with no problems. Yesterday I decided to take it on a nice long highway drive, all of a sudden after going about 30miles at 70mph something went wrong.

My oil pressure began to drop, and I began to overheat; the engine began to sound loud. I pulled off the highway and headed for a gas station. When I got there, I literally just rolled into a parking space and died. The truck would start up, but sounded terrible. My oil pressure was at 0 at idle and my temp gauge was hot. I checked my oil and I was down 1 quart (and being guilty as charged, I haven't check it in about 200 miles). I wasn't blowing smoke, or leaking any oil.

Reluctantly, I headed for home. At this point, oil pressure was up slightly from 0 at idle and probably at about 20 while cruising. The temp came down to normal. On the highway, there was no power, it was very difficult to accelerate especially @ small hills.
    I made it about 20miles before coming to grips that I needed to be towed the reaming 10. While driving, there was a horrific grinding notice coming from the engine that didn't seem to exist when I removed my foot from the accelerator. This notice was at it worst at part throttle, but less at full.

I apologize for the length of this, but I hope I hope I covered all the details regarding this problem.

Thanks again,
  2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Its smoked :( In the future if you start dropping oil pressure stop before you nuke something. Oil pressure whent to crap and then it started grinding and running hot witch decreased the pressure more, more chewing on parts.....a viscious destructive cycle. Sorry man :( If I had to bet I would say a pluged oil filter that wasnt bypasssing or you started chowing a cam.....but after that running on no oil pressure probably toased all your bearings at a minimum. Sorry man you are sol :( A quart low is not the best thing in the world but it wont cause destruction, it wasnt casued by low oil.
  3. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

Does anyone know where I can get an inexpensive rebuilt 350, or one in decent shape to use as a temp untill I can rebuild this one again?
  4. ratlover

from IL

Talk with a wrecking yard or the shopper or something for a used one thats running. If you are searching for new....Dont buy a parts america or advanced motro or anything like that. A GM target master motor is cheap and good quality plus it comes with a warantee. try gmdieseltech.com and talk to eric and see what he can get you a gm motor for if he can get a good deal or not? jim pace performance seems like they have cheap crate motors too. Maybe see if the local chevy parts dealer will deal with ya. Or try some local machine shops......

Remember that any small block chevy will drop right in there no problem and a big block will go in no problem but brackets and exhaust will be different. You dont have to get a 350 if its going to be temp, a 305(no body wants them) outa a junk yard will work fine and you should be able to score a 305 for cheaper than a 350 since every body wants a 350 and nobody really wants a 305.

I would pull the old oil filter on your motor and have a look through it.
  5. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

Great, I appreciate the advice. I am definitely looking for a temp motor. I'm hoping to find someone that will take something in trade. I have 2 in my garage that i"m willing to trade someone. I have a 350 out of a '72 buick and also a 4.3l chevy.

Again, thanks for the advice.

6. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Sometimes it is cheeper to buy an old wreck that runs good for the motor, that way you can atleast hear it run. If you are lucky someone may give it to you just to get it out of there yard.
  7. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

What shape is the 4.3 in? Is it complete? If this is a temporary swap why not put the 4.3 in the truck while you rebuild the 350. It should bolt right in. It is basically 3/4 of a 350. It will be low on power but it will also be low cost. payup
  8. I would skip the idea of a temp motor. Its alot of work and it may break down on you as well. I can get a new GM crate motor for around 1600, or go to auto zone and get one for 750(rebuilt) put it in and drive with a warranty. I done both, several times, and have had good luck with both ways. Don't put yourself in this situation again.

I would bet that it was your oil pump shaft that broke of came off! Happened on one of our race motors before. :cry:
  9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The 4.3 won't bolt in without motor mount swapping.

Shame you're not closer to me (about 7-8hr drive) I have more motors here than I know what to do with, including a rebuilt 350 (300hp performance oriented)....
  10. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

Well the 4.3 is fuel injected so it would be some work to change it over.

I have a feeling that my problem could be a main bearing, but I also have been thinking that it could be just the oil pump. When I got to thinking about it, I remember that the sleeve that holds the shaft in place wasn't placed directly in the middle. I was suppose to go back and fix it, and it totally slipped my mind. I'm hoping that is what it is, but with my luck, i'm sure it's not.

Thanks for all your help.

11. ratlover

from IL

If you shear the shaft you will lose all oil pressure and it wont be a gradual thing. Oil pump might have went to **** on you but no oil pressure causes the same problems regardlees how it comes about.

A GM crate motor may be the best bet and a final solution or see what a local builder will charge you. The lowest price aint alwasy the best.