1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Iowa, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Iowa

Iowa Senior Member
    from Iowa

:dizzy: Here's the deal....

I am in school from 8-3:20 everyday. I'm thinking about starting the snow business basically to retain the lawn mowing customers, and make a little money this winter. Not planning on getting to big, probably my lawn accounts (10) and then some 3 extra or so.

I'm willing to wake up as early as I have to in the morning to get it done before school, and after school if needed. But my question is, the time I'm in school, (7 hours) is it worth doing if I can't be out plowing during those hours? Sure I would get them cleared in the morning, but say it stopped snowing at noon? Would customers be complaining about me not being there? Would it be best to state to them it may take a little time before I get there?

For some reason I know I can make this work, just want to see what everyone else thinks...... :gunsfiring: :dizzy:

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

The simplest thing for you to do is find a sub to cover for you while your at school. That way in case it IS snowing, your covered. :waving:

3. F2507.3

F2507.3 Junior Member

Hi,
    Wouldn't schools be closed? I'm in Maryland, if it even looks like it's going to snow - they close schools here! Hit it hard in the night, and early in the morning - yu'll be OK! Good Luck!

Best
    John

4. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

This is how I got started. Those guys are right, most of the time when it snow schools will be canceled & find a sub to cover for you just in case. BOAST pumpkin:

5. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

im in kind of the same boat as you. 8am-3pm. each day. i have about 9 commercial accounts, one is a condo complex. what i am doing is plowing when i can (between 3:20pm and 7:30am) and then leaving my work truck (plow) at my house and have my employee (probably my bro or cousin) plow if its needed and im in school, and taking my dakota to school. then when i get out sending my bro home and plowing myself.

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

There are contractors that have 60 houses to do. If it stops snowing at noon they won't have their last house done until 10. If you have only 9-10 then you will have yours done early.

7. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Time has never been an issue for me and i got to school from 7:00 AM to 2:20 PM. It takes a good 6" to close school around here, but anything under 6" i can knock off before and after school no problem. In the smaller but plowable storms you end up having to stay up all night to stay ahead and still be able to go to school if they don't cancel it. The problem with my school is that most all students and staff live south east of me (heading towards cape cod) and get all rain while iam out plowing 15" of snow and they decide to have school, then end up sending us home when they realize its snowing north of them.