1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ggwash21, Jan 28, 2004.

1. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

i was wondering if anyone has or tried using a lawn seed spreader and use it for salting sidewalks. we have a small hand held spreader and it SUCKS:realmad: .... any help would be great
    thanks
    gary

2. HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD Member

YES definitely . We use earth-way ones with the sides they awesome. But I've used $20 Scott's spreaders from home depot there just as good for sidewalks

3. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

ok cuz the local idoits at the l&m supply said it wont work. i'm just tired of lifting the 50# bag of salt to fill up the spreader that holds a hefty 1# of salt haha:gunsfiring:

4. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

ok cuz the local idoits at the l&m supply said it wont work. i'm just tired of lifting the 50# bag of salt to fill up the spreader that holds a hefty 1# of salt haha:gunsfiring:

5. DJL

DJL Senior Member

We've used a Vigoro (however that name is spelled)broadcast spreader model 4300. We've spread bagged rock salt and bagged calcium with it. It claims to have a weight capacity of 75#'s. We've loaded it up with 50# bags of rock salt and calcium. So far it has held up. However, we've only used it for 7-8 events this year.

FYI, it is all plastic, even the wheels, except for some of the gears. We try and clean it up after use with some hot water in a bucket to get all of the corrosive material out of it. Figuring we might be able to salvage it after the season, we'll see. We'll then spray the moving parts down with WD-40 to help stop/prevent rusting.

Some people will tell you that you are wasting your time/money buying these and they probablly are right. However, we priced those "nicer" broadcast spreaders and they are a few hundred dollars. Just starting out on our own we don't want to spend the big bucks just yet. Just our two cents.

6. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

any info is great thanks guys i'm telling the old man to go pick two up hahapayup