1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help..

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by exmark kid, Oct 27, 2012.

1. exmark kid

exmark kid Junior Member

Ill admit now.. im a newbie.. im having some troubles here, any help would be greatly apprectiated. I have a 2000 f350 superduty, 2 wd. utility truck. v10, 6.8. I recently picked up a 9 foot, western ultramount pro plus. the truck the plow was on before was totaled, so i have everything but the mounting bracket on the truck. I do have all the harnesses and isolation module, but have no idea how to install it and am having a very hard time finding a schematic for it. i know that western dosnt sell mounts for my set up, so im having a fabricator make me up one. i was told that because my truck is a one-ton truck, i have no worries about using this big of a plow on it. is that true? any reply is greatly appreciated and would help me out emmencily. thanks.

2. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

If you go on Westerns website and look up troubleshooting I think it will give u specifications for the schematic and yes because of the weight on the rear of the truck you should have no problems using that Plow or for the schematics try Google searching for it to.

3. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

You better make sure you put some weight in the back of that truck when your plowing.

4. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

I plow with 9' plow on a F250.

Lot of times I can plow in 2x drive with it no extra weight added as long as there isn't ice under the snow.
    Like what we just got that was mostly slush and the ground was steaming once we plowed the snow off (not frozen).
    Soon as it was plowed I was on bare asphalt. Plows in 2x fine and doesn't grab in the corners like when in 4x4.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

We need a few more details to help you out with a schematic. Is the isolation module a three port (plug) or two? And how many plugs do you have at the grill? I suspect you have three unless it was very new when the previous truck was written off?

Here is what comes with a new headlight harness.
    http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/29206.09_050111.pdf
    Note that this maunal has two sections, the three port two plug and the three port three plug. You will want the three port three plug instructions. On page three you will find an awsome overview of the electrical system. Its not a typical schematic but more of a physical diagram of the harnesses and plugs. This should be all you need to make it work. If you have the four port system I will have to dig a bit deeper. Just let me know if you need it and I will get the publication number from work.

6. exmark kid

exmark kid Junior Member

sorry its been so long since ive replied guys.. i appreciate the responses though. Mishnick, it is a 4 port isolation module, and the manual you attached is just what im looking for, could you get one for the four port module please?

7. mishnick

Here is the Western complete electrical schematics manual. Just look in the index for the four port module. This document has every schematic for every system they have ever built. I think page 30 will show you what you need. This shows a similar overview diagram with four port module and three plugs at the grill.
    http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/22373.07_110108_for_web.pdf

8. exmark kid

exmark kid Junior Member

thanks that helps alot. one last question.. the loom that the plow controller plugs into, the one running in to the cab, has a single red wire thats seperated from the rest of the loom. If you look on page 29 of the document you attached for me, you will see the wire break away just before the plug for the controller. Where does this one run too? i assume its a feed for power, but im horrible with eletrical as you can see, so my guess is it runs to the fusebox?? any help on this one will be greatly appreciated as well.

9. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Yes, the red wire should go to a switched circuit that's on when the key is on. I think it needs a 6-amp inline fuse as well.

10. exmark kid

exmark kid Junior Member

What exactly does that mean? How do I go about setting that up? Thanks a lot!

11. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

that means you tap it into a circuit on the fuse block that only is hot when the ignition is on. you might want to get somebody that's more familiar with doing that to do it for you, or to double check it after you're done.

12. exmark kid

exmark kid Junior Member

Can I get a 6 amp fuse tap and run it to a spare fuse slot to the panel behind the steering wheel? It would have constant power once the key is on, right?

13. mishnick

You can get a little fuse tap kit that hooks under an existing fuse or, as you suggested, to a spare fuse slot. Find an ignition cotrolled fuse (on only when the key is on) that powers a non-critical device like the radio, and tie into that. You don't want to use something like your engine computer because if the plow blows the fuse your engine will quit. If the radio dies it's no big deal. Then you use a test light to find out which side of the fuse socket is hot (input) and which side is cold (output). Put the fuse tap under the cold side of the fuse, so that the fuse actually protectes the curcuit, and then push the fuse back into the socket. I frequently use a ten amp existing vehicle fuse because that's what the radio fuse usually is.

What this wire does is tells the plow system that the key is in and the vehicle is on. It is more important to know that it turns OFF the plow when the key is out. This prevents the plow from slowly draining your battery and it acts as a safety feature to prevent people from accidently activating the plow. Imagine a kid left in a plow truck who plays with the control and drops the plow on someones foot! I have seen people hook that wire directly to the battery through a switch so they can activate the plow without the key or so they can deactivate the plow when the key is on. But the standard operation is to connect to an ignition feed.

Just don't do what some do... don't just put the bare wire in the fuse socket and then push the fuse in. Go to an auto parts store and get a fuse tap, they are cheap.

14. exmark kid

exmark kid Junior Member

Thanks a lot mishnick, I really appreciate it!! You've been a huge help in this wiring nightmare ha ha. I do appreciate it man

15. mishnick

We are all here to help and learn as we go.