1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by diesel dave 04, Dec 20, 2011.

1. diesel dave 04

diesel dave 04 Senior Member

My inployer wants to get a plow to do the plowing rather then sub it. But he want to put a plow on the 08 F-150 ext cab short box. we would be plowing 2 parking lots like 700 foot X 900 foot and then 5 miles of stone road.

I want them to get a F-250 and a V plow cause we wont be in here keeping up with it we will plow it after it falls.
    So please give me reasons that i can tell them i dont want this F-150 for plowing.

2. Army Vet

Army Vet Member

1. The truck is to small and will be destroyed!
    2. Boss won't put one on a F150
    3. It will destroy a F150

3. diesel dave 04

I agree, I was thinking the tranny is not built to handle it, the front axle will not take it do to the half shafts twisting. the gears are to high and it will over heat the tranny. i need somthing LOL I really think it will be a waste to put a plow on this truck.

4. Army Vet

Army Vet Member

It would be a money pit after a season in break downs! Also a F250 would push more than the F150!!!

5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

tell him to be more effecient to by a tractor or loader with a push box!

6. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

700'X900' is a huge parking lot.....no way a truck with a plow would be able to do that in a timely manner. That is like 14 acres and you have 2 of them to do????

7. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

So let me get this straight..... you want to plow TWO 14+ ac lots with ONE truck AND then plow 5 miles of a gravel road correct? Are you just pulling our leg or are you serious?

8. bln

bln Senior Member

wow, that is going to take 16 hours per lot with that truck, and that's just with a 2" storm. What's going to happen if you get pounded. You need a loader with apusher or just keep hiring it out. Big mistake thinking the f150 is suitable to handle this.

9. diesel dave 04

well the lots are more like 400 wide by 600 foot long. But not pulling your leg I need atleast a 250 with a v to take care of this. Now there saying that if it gets bad they will sub it. That wont happen Who is going to be on stand by for a heavy snow and if they are they will get here 7 days later. They really need to get a HD truck so it can be done even with a real storm. and worse yet they dont wont over time so they wont us to plow normal hrs so if it starts snowing at 6 pm and snows till 6 am we will come into 12 inches or more.
    they need to put down the hash pipe.

10. bln

bln Senior Member

Let them learn

11. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

You need to figure out what you have for acres.... you've got a HUGE discrempcy (sp?) between your posts....one post is over 14 ac and the other is under 6 ac per lot...... How much experience do you have plowing these types of lots? YOU WILL NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT HEAVY EQUIPMENT FOR THESE SITES....... especially if your waiting until the end of the event to service them........
    GOOD LUCK!

12. AugustArborists

AugustArborists Member
    from Wyoming

Just curios, how is it being plowed now? What type of equipment do the subs use?

13. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Imployer just logged on everybody duck.

14. diesel dave 04

they use F-250 now the boss said put a plow on the 150 I was also told we will only be helping and have a plow for clean up so I guess the 150 will be fine if it is just for clean up. sorry but the story kept changing on this end also. We have a 7.5 SD fisher ordered. I been plowing since 93 18 years and i could do all of what needs done there with my bronco with the 8.5 V But i would have to keep up with it. last year i did it with the bronco and the V after a 18 inch snow fall and it was alot for the little bronco and I could not have done it with out the V to cut the roads open.